Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Howdy Mike.
That is a nice stock. It's elm. Probably a later replacement stock as walnut was original to these. It was done at 1.TRZ as indicated by the stamp in the buttstock. If you don't already know, that stands from Tehnicki Remontni Zavod = Technical Overhauling institute #1. This is a 'satellite' repair facility in Cacak in Serbia. It was suggested as still being in operation as late as 2005. (date of publication of source) If there are some small BK (Latin script VK) stamps in a circle it's a legitimate Yugo military replacement. If not, it's probably just a stock replaced for export. No difference except for the stamp. The Yugos were withdrawing 24/47s from service when elm stocks were being used. Relatively few 24/47s would have been returned to active service in Communist Yugoslavia with elm stocks. Most of these so restocked were done when being prepped for long term storage. Some saw use in the conflicts of the 90s though. How many I have no idea. I know of one young fellow, a former... Bosnian I think he was, who said he saw plenty of M48s in service over there but never saw a 24/47 until he came here (USA)

As for cleaning, I have never considered wood and water to be good combinations. I prefer dry heat, with the ooze washed from the surface with lacquer thinner which evaporates quickly. Living in Texas, I do my deep cleaning in summer by simply hanging the stock in the sun.
Other folks use their ovens. I believe 150-200(F) is the suggested max heat. Then theirs the black garbage bag and 'kitty litter' trick. You put plain clay kitty litter (specifically not the clumping kind) in a black plastic garbage bag. Put in the stock and tie off the top. Put it in a nice sunny spot. Shake it up a couple or three times a day, and in a week to 10 days, it'll be as free of cosmo as it is going to get.

There are other, eq ually effective 'formulas.' Just put "cosmolene" or "stock cleaning" in the search bar and you'll get a ton of returns

Anyway, that's all from me. Somebody elses turn now. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Really good looking M24/47. My favorite Yugo Mauser model. They tend to be great shooters.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I agree not to use soap and water. The tried and true cleaner is mineral spirits. It will dissolve the cosmo and not harm the finish. My method would be to wipe it down with mineral spirits and paper towel off the residue. Do this 3 times with fresh mineral spirits each time. Next, since this is winter, get a small electric floor heater and sit in front of it with the stock. Place some newspaper on the floor and begin to heat the stock a section at a time till the cosmo runs out. Wipe it off with some toilet tissue and repeat till no more comes out. When you've done the whole stock, wipe it down again with mineral spirits. Let it dry, reassemble and go shoot it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nice rifle - Should shoot great.

I use the heat method too - In the California summer, leave it outside and the grease will ooze-out. Eventually will cut the remaining grease with Hoppes #9. Clean with mild soapy water. Works for me.

Had used Murphy's Oil Soap at one time but it takes out all the oil.

Both my 24/47 and M48 were soaked with grease too - Cleaned-up fine.

Good luck and good shooting!

Tiledude

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I'll use the mineral spirits then. And as far as winter goes, I live in southern Arizona and I think it's supposed to be 75 or so today :) A great day for shooting here!
Very nice looking piece. Relative to your weather, today is the warmest day we have had in the past 4 weeks and it is 30 F. Wind chill though takes it down to the low teens. What is your wind chill today? :rolleyes:;):D

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'll use the mineral spirits then. And as far as winter goes, I live in southern Arizona and I think it's supposed to be 75 or so today :) A great day for shooting here!
Mineral spirits are expensive and will only wash away the surface oils. Only heat will draw deep soaked cosmo though with these new stocks it shouldn't have gone too deep.

Your conditions are perfect for this. Like me in Texas, you have an ample supply of solar power. Use it...

Get a black plastic trash bag. Put generic ground clay floor dry or kitty litter (not the clumping kind!) in it. Put you stock and hand guard in there and lay it out in a nice sunny spot. Shake it up a couple times a day. leave it about a week and you're done. When you pull it out, give it a quick mineral spirit wash to remove dust residue. Let it dry thoroughly, rub in a couple/three coats of blo and you're finished!:)

·
Silver Bullet member
7,798 Posts
Very Nice!...You know thats a replacement stock..look how deep the hardware and trigerguard are inletted..gots to be 1/4" deep near the floorplate..This stock hasnt seen any sanding...+1 on beautiful Elm...

How about a crest pic and reciever siderail pics so we can see where it was refurbed : )

And Hey..Dont I see TWO boxes on that table..Wheres the pics of the other beauty????

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
I echo the mineral spirits and if there are any areas that have cosmolene soaked in the wood, use a hair drier and it will ooze out.....wipe it off with mineral spirits and continue the process until the cosmo is gone. Then use my secret wax formula to rub in a nice protective finish. 1/3 natural beeswax, 1/3 mineral spirits(oderless) and 1/3 raw linseed oil(can substitute with BLO). The Boiled linseed oil is OK but the raw stuff dries much slower and penetrates deep into the wood. You can heat this up on the stove top til the bees wax melts and stir the mixture pour in a little tupper ware container and it sets up just like carwax.....see pic.

That is a beautiful stock and deserves only the best. That TRZ.1 cartouche makes it very very collectible. I await the range report with bated breath! Regards, Rick.

PS. Where did you pick that rifle up?????

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That TRZ.1 cartouche makes it very very collectible. I await the range report with bated breath! Regards, Rick.
S'truth, TRZ.1 is perhaps the second most common marking, after Preduzece 44. So not al that more collectible.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That TRZ.1 cartouche makes it very very collectible. I await the range report with bated breath! Regards, Rick.
S'truth, TRZ.1 is perhaps the second most common marking, after Preduzece 44. So not all that more collectible.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are range pics. This is the Romo ammo that AIM has for sale off of a bench at 200 yards with a slight wind blowing from the left to the right of the pic. First pic is the bench rest supported and the second pic is standing unsupported.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.