Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-matching, no electro-pencil, no import marks....any ideas ? Just picked it up...assumed it was a re-work, but doesn't seem to be...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are all of the serials stamped. including on the stock and in the handguard?
You might find electropenciling on the underside of the bolt but if that's it you've likley got a 100% original an un-refurbed piece.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked in the handguard, no numbers anywhere. There are also no numbers on the gas cylinder. There are stamped numbers on the underside of the bolt carrier, on the bolt, the underside of the trigger guard, and the left side of the stock. I guess it must be original...it's uncanny, though...the condition looks like new. No polishing, or sanding marks, either. I guess I got lucky...I paid less than I did for my 1942 refurb. I'm curious where it came from. I have never seen an original in anything close to this condition...never know what you'll find these days..

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Looks good and no rail either from what I can tell; nice find!:cool:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yep, I looked for that too. I have a 43 w/o the rail slots and am looking for a 43 with them.
Sarge

·
Registered
320 Posts
I seem to recall reading that they stopped milling the grooves in all SVTs sometime in late '42 when they decided to halt the production of the SVT sniper variants.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Both my 1943 manufactured SVT-40's are stamped matching (bolt, carrier, trigger guard, stock etc) and they have the plumb coloured bolt carrier. Might pay to check the carrier for signs that it may have originally had the plumb finish.

Neighter of mine have scope rails.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a few more PICs...
Compared refurb bolt, with white bolt and plum bolt seems more highly polished, white bolt has machining marks. Finish of wood seems different...the 1943 is more of a blonde color. Interestingly, the 1943 has a trigger guard which is about twice as wide as the 1942 refurb.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Drazil, Very nice rifle, but I think it's a refurb. The cocking handle should have the rifles serial number stamped on it's top. The photo of your bolt carrier shows a different profile near the knob. It appears the numbers wee carefully removed. The bolt is also too smooth and white. It should show some slight evidence of machining. You should check on both sides of the receiver some of the importers used very tiny importer markings which could be easily removed. The sides of the receiver should be some what rough and not be polished.

These are JMHO, and not meant to trash you nice rifle.

Here is a photo of a original bolt carrier knob with its S/N. see the difference of it's profile.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Jimmy...thank you for PIC and input...
...The bolt carrier IS is fact numbered, on the bottom of the handle...see PIC....I have seen pictures of another bolt marked in this fashion and the topic is also touched upon in a "Battlerifles" forum. If you look at my HUGE (sorry, I'm new at posting PICs) photo of the right hand side of the receiver, that's where the century import mark usually is, but there is no evidence of any removal of markings, unless someone is REALLY good at it. I don't think you're trashing my rifle, I'm just trying to get as much info as I can...

Bas....are your bolt carriers stamped on top ? Or the bottom ? Do you have any PICs ?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Well now I guess I'm flat wrong! From your new photo you can see the machining marks. Can you post a photo of the top of the cocking handle?

Nice nice rifle!!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have heard from others that they may have quit the rails in 42, but so far no one has come up with that info from a russian source, so I keep hoping. I like 43 dated stuff!

Draz
Your trigger guard is from an AVT 40 - the select fire variant. So is your stock - safety/selector lever notch on both side of the trigger guard. Very possible it is a converted AVT.
Sarge

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
The stock has undeniably been refinished - sanded, with rounded edges where they should be sharp etc, and the colour of the stock with "washed out grain" is distinctive of fairly recent refinishing by scraping and/or sanding (with time and oxidation, the colour MAY return to natural, with distinctive grain delineation). That is one sure fire way to always tell a sanded stock)

Nice rifle nonetheless.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just don't think sandpaper has been anywhere near this wood...you really have to see up close, in the light....pictures don't convey the texture. It conceivably could have had shellac applied at some point, but they missed a few spots if that's the case...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
A very nice rifle, some valid points pointed out also with good return on your part. However, do you know if this rifle has ever been in Illinois by chance?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked the clerk at the gun shop where the Tokarev came from, and he said it was from a collection in Massachusetts. I would guess it spent most of it's existance there, as it seems to have gotten little or no use. You should see the Venezualan FN-49 another fellow bought, from same collection. Actually, the FN-49 is on layaway, and I've been keeping tabs on it. As horrible as the gun laws are in most New England states, many of the nice military collectibles seem to be concentrated here, from what I hear from folks further west.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,926 Posts
Drazil:

I'm not trying to put down your rifle, but I do have to disagree with your determination that the rifle is an "original" piece, as opposed to a rearsenaled piece.

In my opinion, your rifle is nothing more than a rearsenaled rifle that has had the purple tone polished or otherwise removed from the bolt*. The wood has clearly been rearsenaled and the metal bears the distinctive reblued finish resulting from an overhaul as opposed to the "original" factory issue bluing. Many of these differences are slight, boardering on subjective, and difficult to describe. I have seen many as issued Toks and many more rearsenaled ones, and that's what my admittedly subjective opinion is based upon.

It is no doubt, a nice rifle. It's just not as originally manufactured.

* As a side note, I must point out that many collectors do not share my opposition to removing the purple finish. About the only time I have ever disagreed with my long distance friend Vic T., is when he promoted the idea of removing the purple color by soaking the bolt carrier in toilet bowl cleaner. That was about 6 years ago and I have since forgiven him for his heresy!

·
Gold Bullet member
300 Posts
Regarding SVT40 bolt carrier numbering. Tula numbers will be stamped on the bottom, Izhevsk numbers are stamped on the top.
Drazil, Very nice rifle, but I think it's a refurb. The cocking handle should have the rifles serial number stamped on it's top. The photo of your bolt carrier shows a different profile near the knob. It appears the numbers wee carefully removed. The bolt is also too smooth and white. It should show some slight evidence of machining. You should check on both sides of the receiver some of the importers used very tiny importer markings which could be easily removed. The sides of the receiver should be some what rough and not be polished.

These are JMHO, and not meant to trash you nice rifle.

Here is a photo of a original bolt carrier knob with its S/N. see the difference of it's profile.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts