Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on the British Militaria forum, there was discussion and a picture posted of a stack of SMLE's taken by IMA when they were gathering the "Nepalese Cache" of Martinis, Sniders and the like. Does anyone know if International Military Antiques (IMA) or Atlanta Cutlery (AC) bought these SMLE's along with the antique arms and will they be showing up on the US market? It looks like there could be some nice ones in that pictured SMLE stack.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
All I can do is wish IMA luck on getting them into the country. Watch the madhouse ensue if they're successful and don't over-price them! I for one would love to add a Nepalese SMLE to my collection.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
As already mentioned there are only a handful of Nepalese-made SMLE's so prepare for a hefty premium on those if they do make it over.
The majority of the SMLE's are India reworks sent to Nepal. The stash also includes other rifles ranging from the Lee-Metfords to the No4. None are in massive quantities so I wouldn't expect typical clearing house prices.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nepal SMLEs

If IMA are successful in getting them through I sincerely hope some of them make their way on to the British market without first being neutered. I think the biggest reason we managed to get a quantity of the MH rifles in firing condition is that they are classed as antiques here and don't require an FAC.
As far as SMLEs in the cache are concerned, are we talking a couple of thousand, or a few hundred? "Not many" is a relative term.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can a "live" SMLE be sold in the UK? I agree that having a neutered Lee Enfield is not nearly as fun as having one you can shoot. Lord knows, I really enjoy shooting mine-- same with my Martini Henry, Enfield musket etc.

Incidentally, I received an email from a friend who saw this post. He says there were quite a few of these SMLE's in Nepal which were sold to IMA. He says they could not import them at the time as they were post 1898 and were ex-military rather than ex-police rifles. He says that they are trying again now that the import rules are changed somewhat. If unsuccessful, he says they may go to the UK market, and will be "neutered" as you fear. I have no idea if he is well-informed on this, but there you have it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Incidentally, I received an email from a friend who saw this post. He says there were quite a few of these SMLE's in Nepal which were sold to IMA. He says they could not import them at the time as they were post 1898 and were ex-military rather than ex-police rifles. He says that they are trying again now that the import rules are changed somewhat.
I am not sure what the problem is with post 1898 any more than any other SMLE or No. 4 or Mosin. Unless there is some diplomatic problem between the US and Nepal. We certainly have had many tens of thousands of SMLES and No. 4 rifles come in from India, Turkey etc. with no problem.

·
Registered
579 Posts
KB466

Can a "live" SMLE be sold in the UK?
If they can't there's got to be at least a couple of thousand criminals regularly using ranges up an down the country!
Shooting may not be in a healthy state in the UK but it's far from dead. It's still the 2nd most popular participant sport in the country after fishing (angling).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
They must have brought some in as they had one for sale earlier this year on their web page. It was a Nepalese 1915 SMLE III and I collect 1915 manufacturers and it was a bargain price. It was one of only 70 to 80 manufactured between 1913 to 1915. The kicker was that IMA had deactivated it! Obliviously they didn't know what they had, but someone over there must have as it sold quickly. I still lie awake at night thinking about it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.