Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this in a local gun shop on the wall hanger rack. It was priced at $199 out the door. I was shocked to find a very clean unmolested Gehendra. I don’t believe it’s part of the famous Nepalese cache as it to clean. The bore and chamber are mint. The screws are not damaged and the wood has no rot. The light surface rust shown in the pictures has already been cleaned with Ballistol and 0000 steel wool. The finish on the stock is original and not oil soaked. The only actual rust is on the butt plate where it rested. I’ve never seen an example this clean. Your thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
"I don’t believe it’s part of the famous Nepalese cache as it is too clean."

You mean not part of the IMA-USA cache? It certainly seems to be a very nice specimen. You are a better man than I if you can resist repairing that rust damage. Nice score!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thats an awesome find and an incredible price. they only made about 10,000 ghendra rifles total!

Reactions: MasterChief

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"You are a better man than I if you can resist repairing that rust damage. Nice score!
The pictures I posted were taken the evening I bought it. I’ve since disassembled and cleaned every piece. The butt plate is soaking in Kroil. This rifle cleaned up beautifully.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I’d clean up that active rust with some bronze wool. Very nice piece!
0000 steel wool and Ballistol. Very lightly rubbed and wiped clean. I make no attempt at restoration I just clean up the rust and crud. Check out the factory chamfer on the end of the stock for the nose cap It’s perfect.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
There were some imported in the 1960s supposedly that were in very nice condition like this one. I’d clean up that active rust with some bronze wool. Very nice piece!
I know Nepal origin Martini Henry rifles were offered for sale in the early 70s through Shotgun News because I bought one complete with original sling and sword bayonet. They were Mk IVs. Perhaps that when the earlier Gehendra import occurred.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I for one would very much like to see additional photos of your rifle if possible. Thanks in advance. Dave
Certainly, I’d be glad to post more pictures. Are you interested in something particular? I am trying to get a clean shot of the bore but it’s a bit difficult. I’ll keep trying.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
These early Nepalese weapons are really quite fascinating. I’ve had a few of them including a flintlock Brown Bess copy and their P53 copy, they aren’t perfect but they are certainly functional weapons. They put some serious organization around arming themselves in the mid 19th century.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts