Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
The IMA Francotte pattern 577-450 Martini finally disassembled nicely and I was able to get it all the way apart. The firing pin spring is in 3 pieces and looks like it may have at one time been broken. It still does work, but I wonder if anyone has replaced theirs with a modern spring. Everything else was rust free. This rifle was so far an incredible buy. I did ruin a pair of pants and a t-shirt cleaning it......
Phil

· Banned
490 Posts
A small price to pay.

These springs do break. Here is a dealer in the UK who does have springs, meant for the British Martini. I'm not sure whether the Francotte spring would have been exactly the same size, but I think so, and I know some Belgian Martinis were. The outside could be reduced a little by putting it on a dowel and letting it spin against a grinding wheel or sanding belt, and the diameter of their firing-pins should tell you if the inside is OK.

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/MARTINI_HENRY_Parts.html

You can also buy a very wide range of springs made for separating die-casting moulds, e.g. from www.mcmaster.com . The square wire springs will put a bit more power in a small space, which you don't really need with the Martini, or alternatively let you get the same power with less permanent pre-load on the spring. These fractures are unlikely to happen again with modern materials.

· Registered
14,769 Posts
Try going to your local hardware store and looking in their spring cabinet. Take the firing pin and block with you. You will probably find something to fit. It may be longer than the original, but is easily cut to length. Nice part is you won't spend much more than a dollar or so for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.