Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for the delivery of my uncleaned MH rifle, (due tomorrow), the set of four, "mini-Kukri," knives showed up today under separate cover.

Cute, little, dirty knives. About five inches long. A couple, "unsharpened." Anyone get any of these as accoutrements for your other Nepalase firearms??

More important, if anyone got these, how/what are you doing with them and how are you using/cleaning them up?

I love historical accessories. Some of this stuff from IMA and AC are affordable, (like these knives), other things have pretty steep prices.

Maybe a good thread here to see how everyone is dressing out your Nepal rifles' accessory bags??

Dennis

·
Registered
570 Posts
Small Kukri "knives"

Almost all kukris come with two small knives on the back portion of the scabbard. The “Karda” (one edge sharpened) is a small utility knife used to perform small tasks that the big kukri blade cannot. The “Chakmak” (Both edges dull/unsharpened) is the sharpener used to sharpen both the main blade, which is the Kukri. The “Chakmak” is used in a manner similar to a steel to sharpen the Kukri blade.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
knife

Thanks; that is a big help. I suppose the broader flat of the chakmak steel is used for sharpening.

Now if I could only afford a real Kukri itself !

I did spring for one of IMA's MH action tools about 3 years ago. Expensive but I like it.

Dennis

·
Registered
531 Posts
Now if I could only afford a real Kukri itself !
Dennis:

Getting the "real deal" is not at all expensive!

I have two khukris purchased directly from Nepal, from the firm who supply the Nepalese Army, whose "standard issue" model is what I got (pictured below) - current cost is US$32.99 each, with shipping to North America adding another $28.50 for one khukri or $33 for two shipped together, according to the shipping calculator on their website. (Similar breakdown at the time I ordered mine, which is why I got two ....)

Here is a direct link to their listing for that model ...

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/product.php?id=3933fecc3

They are substantial, working tools .... not some "tourist" knockoff.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nepal

Thank you, again.

First, John, ... good thing I got the action tool. I actually ordered two and it turned out one was for the M-H, and the other came through for the Snider. I had not specified the Snider.

Grant: Now isn't that interesting about the Khukris. I just got back from cruising the site you referred me to. I didn't look much into what kind of distrubutor they are .. or if it is, in fact, dealing directly with off-shore. Anyway, They seem to be close to IMA's originals, just 100 years+ later production. (grin)

I'll look into it.

Thank you both,
Dennis

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes, they definitely sell retail to individuals, and will ship all over the world, so it is a worthwhile source to consider .....

By the way, the hilts on the ones I got are buffalo horn (also the karda and chakmak in each case) - which is traditional, at least on military models I gather. One is unpolished like most military models apparently (for more secure grip) and the other has been buffed to quite a high polish (I guess that one is my parade dress khukri. ;) ) Other models have different hilt materials e.g. rosewood. The buffalo hide sheaths have a wooden core. "Trim" on both khukris and their sheaths is brass ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.