Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Echo 1, I corrected my reply to Boris to mean Northern California, SF Bay Area. I'm going to PM you off-list ASAP, subject line gunboards

I'm just looking for an excuse NOT to go to the LGS tomorrow morning to ask about the bent barrel SKS, etc.

I bought a Glock 19 on 1/3/22, so here's the bad news:

“NO PERSON SHALL MAKE AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE MORE THAN ONE HANDGUN OR SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE WITHIN ANY 30-DAY PERIOD AND NO DELIVERY SHALL BE MADE TO ANY PERSON WHO HAS MADE AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE MORE THAN ONE HANDGUN OR SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE WITHIN ANY 30-DAY PERIOD.”
You said buy the bent barrel at a sever discount. A couple ideas.

First barrels can be bent. It was actually part of the manufacturing process in the old days. While it is a gamble, it is not a crazy or far fetched idea. Like most things, a person has to know something. Or someone. Any given gunsmith only knows so much. You could end up with a pretzel. For 1/2 price, you got better than 50% odds of success. I dont know, I think I would have 50/50 odds. I cannot speak for anyone else.

Second , worse case you have a source of parts. Like the stock. I think the forum concensus is stay away from changing the barrel.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first and possibly only SKS was an older chinese gun with milled trigger guard and blade bayonet. IMHO, that was the logical place for me to start. The Russian are too expensive for a first time newbie purchase. The later guns with stamped parts pressed fit barrel did not seem to have enough discount for what they were.

If I were to buy a 2nd, I would get upto speed on the Russian guns.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks.

Shotguns are NOT subject to the 1 gun per month rule, so I'm golden - until they change the law.

How hard are parts to find for that, e.g. the hammer, and what should I replace as preventive maintenance on it?
I'd replace recoil and hammer spring and make sure that both friction rings are there and in good shape. That's it. Those shotguns will run forever. Make sure that the forearm is in good shape (not cracked at the bottom). I don't hunt anymore, so I shoot slugs mostly through mine. They are surprisingly accurate up to about 80-100 yards.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I sold 2 A5s to one fella in Georgia in November, Magnum12 & Light12, and a Sweet16 and 12 ga, to my Bud the year before that.
If you're gonna run SKSs, you can never have too many spare anything.
Greatguns is an accomplished barrel strightenouter. PAX.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Oh, yes. Sweet 16 A5 is the best of the breed, indeed. Smaller receiver and perfect balance. 20 ga never made sense to me as it was made on the same size receiver with 16. Two problems with the 16 though. Price of the gun itself and ammo availability.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,191 Posts
Given that your LGS has 23 Chinese Type 56s, they’re likely from the batch imported by PW Arms and those came from Albania (via Limex in Austria). A lot of gun dealers call any Chinese SKS a Norinco (established 1980), but these imports from Albania are not Norincos. If my hunch is correct, they’re most likely all spike bayonet models, and from the late 1960s. All I’ve seen lately are 14th year (1969).

Matching (including the stock) would be my first choice, and high condition. In the off chance there is a blade bayonet version, I would probably buy that one. All the Chinese have chrome-lined bores, so assuming the barrels are straight and the crown is good, they’ll all likely be good shooters (except for that bent one). A lot of the Albanians have replacement stocks, so look for the number on the left side of the buttstock.

The Russian Tula SKS-45, we’d need pictures, as already noted, to assess value (CA prices, about $600 to $3500, e.g. heavy refurb 1954 with black paint, to nice very rare 1949).

The Arisaka Type 99 sounds a bit high, at $650. A broad range of prices on these from about $250 to $1000, which depends on condition, manufacturer, series, matching, etc. A full picture top and side and a good picture of the left side rail and top of receiver ring would be needed to guess at value. An early series with anti-aircraft sights and original matching dust cover in good condition with an intact chrysanthemum would warrant $650+. A scarce long rifle version would certainly warrant that price. From a collecting standpoint, the Type 99 is great to have for occasional shooting at $2-4 per round, with interesting WWII history.

From a practicality standpoint (shooter and SHTF in your urban shelter in place situation…or any situation), the SKS will be vastly superior to the Arisaka for your needs.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
If you are interested in just a good survival piece and not a collector's piece, a good Chinese SKS with a 16 1/2" chrome lined barrel and a good folding stock should do you quite well. I have one I carry on an ATV or in the pickup and I'm happy with it. It is also very easy to pack around on my back with a sling and is handy in close quarters too. Mine has one or two mis-matched numbered parts but still functions well and that is what I'm really interested in. Don't let all this "collector's grade" talk keep you from getting what you need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I photographed a sample SKS (the one with the bent barrel) and talked to LGS staff.
Most, not this, have matching serial numbers, but no cleaning rod or cleaning kit.
All are used/fired, but cleaned and tested at the importer.
The store will sell a warranty for 1-3 years
PW Arms Importer, Redmond, WA is on the receiver, Arsenal 26 with triangle around, S/N 13072003
blade bayonet
rust on the butt stock metal and mag bottom on this sample

The Russian SKS seller at the LGS corrected that he has a Mosin-Nagant for $800, knowing he wants too much for it.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,191 Posts
That’s a 13th year (1968) and it has a spike bayonet, which is correct. Unless the bandoliers have a date stamp from the late 1960s, just buy what you like.

If it’s a typical Soviet M91/30 then he’s way high at $800. Finnish variants? That could be a fair price to good deal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks.

If I buy one of those in better condition as to wood and with matching numbers, is $499 a good price?

He boasted that Century Arms imported and I think he said "built" it. All numbers are reportedly matching and he said it has the hammer and sickle on it, I believe on the top cover. He'll e-mail me photos when he gets off work later today, which I'll post.

What's a reasonable price range for garden variety Russian/Soviet Mosin Nagants?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Thanks.

If I buy one of those in better condition as to wood and with matching numbers, is $499 a good price?

He boasted that Century Arms imported and I think he said "built" it. All numbers are reportedly matching and he said it has the hammer and sickle on it, I believe on the top cover. He'll e-mail me photos when he gets off work later today, which I'll post.

What's a reasonable price range for garden variety Russian/Soviet Mosin Nagants?
There are sellers of these recent imported SKS getting $450 online. Others are $499. You have no pick. I dont know if they charge shipping on that or if you get stuck paying an added local FFL transfer fee. In CA you do need FFL, right? So $499 and you pick a nice one, is very fair regardless what others might think of the current Covid crazy times.

If I had a local dealer asking $500 with 10 or 20 to sort through, I would grab another just for yucks. On line lottery, I will take a pass.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You're in the City. Anything on the peninsula is generally going to be overpriced, but at least you can handle them. I honestly couldn't give a "fair" estimate on price. In all likely hood the seller will get what they're asking. Join Calguns and see what they're getting there. $500 bucks + tax + DROS is the norm. PAX

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
FFL is required and there is about a $100 FFL transfer fee involved with buying a firearm on-line in California.

I tried the store's SKS and found that I would need a 2" or so recoil pad/butt stock to match the LOP. Can anyone recommend a brand/model recoil pad/butt stock?

Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
FFL is required and there is about a $100 FFL transfer fee involved with buying a firearm on-line in California.
The FEE$ here suck. To transfer in from anywhere (even within Kaii), it's a hunnerd buck$, then $37.50 DROS, then the FFL collects the tax.
My old 01, who gave up interpreting the regs, used to charge me $25 bucks to receive a package(S) and process one 4473. I could put up to 5 weapons on 1 application, and he'd wait and let me get 5 guns, for $25 bucks. At that rate it was cheaper than getting an 03 & COE (Kali required Certificate Of Eligabilty BS). PAX

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

I tried the store's SKS and found that I would need a 2" or so recoil pad/butt stock to match the LOP. Can anyone recommend a brand/model recoil pad/butt stock?

Thanks!
Mine had a one inch pad bolted over the butt plate. I took it off. The recoil is minimal. No need. But; You are right, the LOP is short. The average Chinese anatomy must be more like a youth and perhaps also allowing for winter clothing.

Either get a slip over pad such as Limbsaver, or install a temporary bolt on pad or live with it. I chose the later. I believe Hickock45 has a youtube where he uses a Limbsaver on one of the Chinese rifles. It is ugly.

Limbsaver, these can add an inch. Google to see what is available and from whom.

Rectangle Grey Violet Magenta Font

This was on my SKS. I dont know who made these. It re-uses the butt plate screws and no permanent harm done.

Rectangle Auto part Font Automotive lighting Household hardware

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thanks.

Was he talking about Mosin?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Last I checked there was a REALLY nice looking SKS for sale on Calguns with the owner being in Fresno (if I remember correctly). If I lived anywhere near Fresno, I'd have already picked it up. Check it out. It's REALLY nice.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts