Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sucked into the SVT vortex. I have two Finn captures that really intrigue me and frustrate me at the same time. Each one is finicky in it's own right, and I keep trying to overcome their little quirks that keep them from running reliably. Here they are:

The top one is a 1940 Izhevsk. It came with a SVT38 magazine, but the other SVT worked better with it, so I swapped them. The 1940 Izhevsk has a stainless steel gas system, so that is no problem. The bore is pretty cruddy, but shoots OK. The problem with this one is that the bolt and bolt carrier likes to hang up and not close all of the way, preventing the rifle from shooting about half the time. Luckily, it doesn't shoot out of battery, but I'm trying to find a way to reliably get the bolt to close. New recoil springs maybe? Without the springs in place, just moving to bolt by hand, I can feel the bolt and bolt carrier hanging up just short of closing.

The bottom one is my 1942 Tula "Big Red". The bore on this one is excellent for SVTs. Somewhere, sometime, someone refinished the stock with some super red stain and varnish. I stripped off the varnish, but the red stain is forever. Looks fine, just not the original color. Anyway, this one was my first, and had a function issue that just doesn't go away, even when I swap parts from the other rifle to see what the problem is. So this one will not fire unless the magazine is held and pushed up/back. The magazine doesn't seat tight enough to depress the disconnector operating sear. The original SVT magazine really needed upward pressure to work, and the SVT38 magazine works a little better, but still needs to be held to work. The frustrating thing is that when I first used the SVT38 magazine, it worked well without holding the magazine at all. Then it seems to have loosened up so I have to hold the mag all of the time now. It shot pretty reliably a week ago, but had issues yesterday. I have a new stainless steel gas system coming for this one. I just need to figure out the magazine lock up issue and I think this one is going to be a great shooter.

Anyone else have these problems? Any suggestions? These dang things are sucking me in trying to fine tune them to run right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll that a stab at the 1940 Izhevsk. It sounds like the bolt isn't locking in the closed position. If you look at the bolt and carrier you'll notice that the bolt has two wings or ears at the rear and the carrier has cutouts for those ears. The principle is that the carrier holds those ears in the cutouts as the bolt is being cycled. When the bolt and carrier are to the almost closed position the rear of the bolt should drop down from the carrier with the ears not engaged in the cutouts. This is when the bolt locks and it is locked by the rectangular bar just forward of the hammer cut-out in the reciever. The rear of the bolt should fall forward and below that rectangular bar when the bolt/carrier are closed. Upon firing, and as the carrier starts to move rearward, the tilting design of the bolt in the carrier lifts the rear of the bolt and positions the ears back into the cutouts thereby unlocking the bolt. If you own a FAL, it is apparent that the design of the bolt and carrier must have had it's origins from the SVT.

My guess as to what is wrong is that the contact area of the ears and cutouts is causing binding, Those ears should not bind in the cutouts nor when they drop out of those cutouts. In fact there should be no binding anywhere with the bolt and carrier. I would take the bolt and carrier in hand and cycle the bolt into the carrier to see if there is any binding. Might have to get a jewellers file or fine sand paper to relieve any binding.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the binding may be on the receiver or in the rails the bolt carrier rides on. The binding happens when the other SVT bolt is used as well. I'm focusing on cleaning the crud out of the chamber area so the bolt carrier isn't getting stuck on something.

This is only the second time shooting the 1940. The first time it had no issues and locked up fine.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
If you own a FAL, it is apparent that the design of the bolt and carrier must have had it's origins from the SVT.
Actually, the bolt and carrier in a FAL is almost a direct rip-off of the corresponding parts in an FN 49, which was actually in development in Belgium (with a slight hiatus due to the war) even before the SVT38 was adopted. If you take a real good look at the two, you will find that the FAL is basically just a 'modernized' FN49, as everything mechanical is shaped (approximately) and works just about the same in both guns.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Try some acetone on "big red". It took off the varnish and seemed to take the stain off my M1 carbine when I used it too aggresivly.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
Is the op rod hanging up on the 40? Protrudes slightly from the rear sight bridge area?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.