Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to try my M39 in Civilian Marksmanship Program Vintage Military matches. Those matches allow either original slings or US GI web slings. I don't like any of the Finnish slings I've seen for this purpose. The clip from a US GI web sling does not fit the front sling swivel, nor do the ends of the web sling. Are there M39 stock bands with larger sling swivels?

Recommendations?

CDD

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
A one-inch M1907 sling should fit, but you'll have to squish the sling loops a tiny little bit flatter/wider to get the hooks through. That's legal to use, right?

·
Copper Bullet member
449 Posts
Try grinding away part of the M1 sling clip to make it narrower. Run the web sling through the loop of the clip so that the modified clip is in the front. Then use the narrowed clip on the front bottom sling swivel.

It works !!

Frank

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Talk with these guys http://www.championshooters.com/

They may be able to come up with a solution for the M-39. I don't use a competition sling, nor do I wear a shooting jacket, as I really just shoot for pleasure, but these folks shoot for serious and have been very good for my son's competitive shooting needs. Great folks, too.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Try grinding away part of the M1 sling clip to make it narrower. Run the web sling through the loop of the clip so that the modified clip is in the front. Then use the narrowed clip on the front bottom sling swivel.

It works !!

Frank
I think thats a great idea.

·
Registered
957 Posts
M-39 Sling for competition

I shot my M-39 last year at the CMP Western Games Vintage Match.

You can use the Garand web sling but according to the rules you are not supposed to modify it. I have done this by cutting down the clip at the end with a hacksaw. Didn't use it though due to the rules.

You could probably get away with it as they might feel that using a Nagant might be enough of a handicap to outweigh this.

The 1907 sling is usually too stiff to make it through the unmodified sling swivel.

In this event everything must be unmodified.

Ended up just using the standard leather green M-39 sling in a modified loop - Not very satisfactory but it worked.

I did not feel handicapped using the rifle last year, just the sling. This year I'm torn between using one of my M-39s or Swedish Mauser which will take my leather match sling.

Tough choice because the sling is REALLY important to this event. I would rather shoot my Nagant for the fun of it.

See you at the games - I'll probably be the other M-39 shooter....

Tiledude

1 - 6 of 6 Posts