Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's wife is wanting to get him some sort of WWII rifle or firearm for his birthday here in about 2 months. He used to be heavily involved in WWII history stuff and is no newbie fool and understands "gun collecting". In fact he walked away from the hobby say ten years ago due to the extreme sickness of way to many people in his family. Ditched a lot of stuff but can still talk the talk on a great many things. Fortunately things have finally settled down and she thinks it would do him good to get back into something as he walked away from it all and now lives for his job. He mentioned and she wanted to get him a CMP carbine but the club affilitation, firing record etc and cost as well as time made this a non starter. However I got to thinking that a decent "matching" (yes I know) RC 98k if any are left might work. Also thought about one of the mismatch walther p38s or a Finn M39 but i think the 98k would be best. Besides SOG does anyone still have these silly things in bulk quantity. As always TIA.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
In bulk I would have to say no. Or at least I know not of any. Many that ARE original as far as RC trim, not cherry picked for parts are in horrible condition from what I have seen. I have yet to see a decent one from a dealer now as the metal, wood, bore and/or markings are usually junk. Might still be some out there but they are getting difficult at best to find a good one.

mow.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I saw two Mauser K98k rifles for sale on Auction Arms the other day. Looked like RCs with some of the wrong bands and stock combinations. Larry Eisel has a bnz 43 bringback with a mis-matched bolt for sale on Gun Broker. He also has a sporterized action that can be restocked with original wood furniture.

Dennis stopped handling the K98s (after some people on this site, gave him a lot of s--- over a rifle) with the SS rhune on it. I don't know if he changed his mind?

·
Registered
703 Posts
i got a really nice rc from gunsamerica.com, but i searched on there for at least half a year before i found one with intact swazies, and a great price. there are a few still on there, but are over priced, and you still have to take in consideration the trenafure fees, ect. the cool thing about it though is if you have any interest these guys will call you right away and give you detailed info on the gun. they want to sell, and are negotiable. above, actionarms.com is another good sight for this, but never used this one. these k98's arent just sitting at the local gun stores anymore, but they are around. either start looking hard online, or hit the next big gun show, or hey-----this sight is a pretty good start. ask around, good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.