Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok , so for about the last couple of months i have been working on a new side project that i cam across. i traded off an old reproduction black powder pistol for an unknown model mosin ( only paid $95 for the pistol 8 years ago). come to find out , it is a 1933 tula hex spanish civil war rifle.............. that bubba got his mits on...............after the spanish got a hold of it.:tisk::tisk:...................... but , the chamber , bore , and rifling are near perfect. its almost like it was never shot before??? i can honestly say that i have seen 10 year old rifles with worse bores , even though someone chopped a few inches off of the muzzle of this one and replaced the front sight with a k98 blade sight with a hood

when i got it , it looked like this http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/JFETTER20/Mosin Nagant/

so far , the sporter stock has been completely refinished and is almost flawless , the steel was filed / sanded / polished , and the steel has been reblued ( i know , three times the money and man hours that should have been put into it ). but yet it still doesnt feel right. my thinking was to put it in an m44 stock since it is to short for a 91/30 stock and outfit it with a traditional pe or pu scope set up. maybe something like this
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/JFETTER20/9130 To M44/

im just curious to see what everyone elses opinions are? does anyone know an alternative or cheaper way to do a pu or pe style scope set up that looks traditional without costing $300-$400??? what about the m44 stock idea? can a 91/30 stock be cut down to a chopped barrel??

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's already been sporterized. Turning it into an ex-sporterized faux m44 isn't going to turn it into an m44.

A faux m44 probably has less value (and less interest to me) than a really good bubba. I've seen some 40 year old work on MN's that required god-like machinist skills.

If you've already turned it into the best sporter it can be, why not move on to the next gun? Put a decent long eye relief scope on it, or not, call it a sporterized MN and find the next gun.

There's a bazillion more bad-bubbas out there. Turning a bad bubba into a good bubba is a worthwhile pastime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts