Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am helping a friend ID this black powder flintlock pistol. It appears to be 58 cal. Bore diameter is 5/8 inch. The marks on left side of barrel reads "Pasadena Firearms Inc Co." Above that it reads "Japan" Under hammer and strike plate there is a British Crown and the letters GR. Behind the trigger is the word "Tower" I believe this is a real old reproduction and I am certain it is fireable. Please view the pics and tell me exactly what we have here and what the value might be. Thanks / Mgfrd

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
You may be disappointed.

Feel free to do a search on this board and the trader.

Member "CivilWarGuns" had one of those on the trader not long ago and sold it for around $120 shipped after a few bumps.

Several other members have asked the exact same question you are asking now, about the same replica item.

These were made in the 1970's and early 1980's.

Some are completed and shoot, others need the final drill work done.

These are nice replicas, and some re-enactors like to use them, but they are generally inexpensive.

I believe that they are undervalued, but people seem to be willing to pay only so much for them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I was given one just about like yours the other day I didn't figure mine was worth much. On the left side of the barrel it is marked Japan and EIG the touch hole is drilled and the only marks on the lock are Tower and the Crown and GR under the pan. This one is in very good shape and the lock works fine and throws a good shower of sparks. Bore is perfectly clean no rust anywhere. Here is a photo.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Of COURSE its a repro! lol

The EIG Japan are replicas of Rev. War "Tower" pistols (often referred to as Dragoons or even Sea Service) and are the good ones out there worth firing. There are others that are non-working or poor quality. NONE are as good as the modern name-brand or semi-custom stuff availabe today (ignoring India/Paki junk) nor are they worth much on the market -- I may have paid about $250 for a new one in a box still in the wax-paper and all at an auction. But I am a reenactor and historic military smallarms shooter and demonstrator so it was worth it to me -- not to most.

As for the Pasadena thing, really good chance it isn't even a blackpowder gun but just a wall-hanger. The latter of which it certainly is without the feather spring -- it won't work! Compare the photos of the locks. The design was so poor on some of these "models" that if you opened the frizzen/pan-cover it bent the feather-spring screw and maybe even broke it. Even the calibre is wrong -- there was no 18th C. .58. Someone already had access to Civil War barrel-size tubing -- I'd even bet if you clean the bore you'll find the seam... It's value? Sentimental or as a paperweight methinks.

Alden

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.