Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, need some advice. My son sent me a couple of pictures of a 1917 looks like a BSA short lee? Mk.III * for sale at one of the shops we visit. These are the only two pictures he took, but what concerns me are the line outs on the wrist socket. Do you think its worth an in person inspection? Thank you for any and all advice.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Being a 1917 and appearing to have originated as a martial arm, it may have been converted to (not back to) Mklll standard during the interwar period.
If memory serves, LSA was still producing Mklll rifles that year but BSA was already turning out Mklll*'s
Pics are very difficult to make out but as you noted, the mark is exactly where a cancelled star would be.

PS. I would've checked out that Ruger No1 while I was there as well. :)

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photo not too clear but looks like a double lined out (Asterisk ) meaning it was converted back to a Mklll from a Mklll* setup no worries if so.
It has the cut-off plate reinstalled very cool and a good find hopefully,yep worth looking into for sure.
Cheer’s.
Excellent...thank you Digger. I'll be going for a closer look.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being a 1917 and appearing to have originated as a martial arm, it may have been converted to (not back to) Mklll standard during the interwar period.
If memory serves, LSA was still producing Mklll rifles that year but BSA was already turning out Mklll*'s
Pics are very difficult to make out but as you noted, the mark is exactly where a cancelled star would be.

I've tried to edit the photos....forums not cooperating with me...lol
So you think it was returned to mk.III standard after WW 1? Interesting. I'm a complete novice with Enfields. I have read the DP sticky so I basically know what to look for there.
And yes, a nice Roger #1 is on my list....

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I've tried to edit the photos....forums not cooperating with me...lol
So you think it was returned to mk.III standard after WW 1? Interesting. I'm a complete novice with Enfields. I have read the DP sticky so I basically know what to look for there.
And yes, a nice Roger #1 is on my list....

Ok upgrade dates (can,will) be applied to the left wrist of the action (opposite side of the bared over Asterisk)
Tidbit;Navy tradition both HMS & RAN (kepted,used etc) the Mklll setup a lot.
Cheer’s.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,673 Posts
And the M-1 C or D.......

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be all over this rifle!

A MkIII* converted to "No Star" during the interwar period, still in that configuration?

Get it.
Couldn't get there today.... My sons good friend works there, maybe he'll hide it for a day...can't get over there till Tuesday. Shop specializes in AR patterns, so not a lot of interest in old ,dusty guns. I'll keep you posted

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its home....bolt mismatch but thats ok. Tell me about the butt stock extension? Very well done, but am I right to assume the British did not do it that way???

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
That is a classic armourers repair. Well done! Many chose to replace "the broken" buttstock with a replacement. As though it was an improvement?
I have the same dovetailed extention on one of my own and its staying there.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Cool & well done congrats! Bantam stock extension repair as noted by JB,bantam butts where needed for them short armed 5’5” coal miners etc etc 😬😉 during WW1,have one also and it ain’t getting changed either!🤣😉

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a classic armourers repair. Well done! Many chose to replace "the broken" buttstock with a replacement. As though it was an improvement?
I have the same dovetailed extention on one of my own and its staying there.
Excellent! It looks to good and proper to be done recently. That's really good to know. I owe my sons friend....he wrote" sold " on the tag. I would have missed it if he didn't. I'll get some pictures of under the handguard as soon as I can. Bore looks good also...a little dark, but good. $425 out the door. Even i know i did good with that. Thank you gents.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.