Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some photos of soldiers (any nation), not police, armed with FN Hi-Power, Glock and/or Beretta 92 pistols. If you have some please post them here or contact me.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rgreg - thanks so much!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Krag:

Canadians in Afghanistan - each one of them armed with a venerable Inglis High Power made in 1944 or 1945. Still Canada's primary-issue military handgun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome photos sir! I've been admiring a few of you're postings since last week. I spotted an Inglis Mk I* 5TXXXX at a pawn shop in Georgia and your post pointed out what the FTR on the slide represented. I thought it was an importers mark and was going to pass on the pistol! I'm a new member and have not figured out how to post photos, I'll put a couple up when I learn.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting to see that some of them are carrying "cocked & locked."

·
Registered
407 Posts
GrantRCanada, nice pictures. What's the status of the P-35 and Canada ? About 10 yrs back a good number of Inglis P35s came to the states. I purchased a fixed site model and a tangant one both nice why the sell off ? [not that i'am complaining]

·
Registered
532 Posts
Although Canada does have other handguns in military service, the primary issue sidearm is still the Inglis High Power ... as evidenced by the Afghanistan deployment photos I posted.

Actually, even though the pistols you mention were Inglis-made, I can pretty much guarantee that if they became available on the market they were not Canadian surplus! For many years now, the firm policy of the Canadian government has been to destroy surplus or obsolete military and law enforcement firearms, not sell them .... not even to other nations. (Matter of fact, an ex-RCMP member was telling me just the other day that, when that Force switched over to semi-autos about 20 years ago, they started allowing members to purchase their former service revolvers .... but very soon got a directive from Ottawa telling them to cease the practice forthwith. thereafter, all relinquished revolvers were disabled, sealed in steel drums and sent under bond to a foundry to be melted down!)

The pistols you saw were most likely 'sold out of service' by the U.K. (which got tens of thousands of them during WWII) or else may have been some of the thousands of Inglis pistols which were given by Canada as post-war aid to Allies such as Belgium and the Netherlands.

Matter of fact, my nice C-broadarrow marked No. 1 pistol (i.e. the tangent-sighted Chinese model) was returned to this country some years ago from Belgium - one of the 1,578 such pistols given to that country in 1950. (The Inglis High Power in Belgian service is covered in Clive Law's "Inglis Diamond: The Canadian High Power Pistol" in a chapter appropriately titled "Coals to Newcastle, The Inglis Browning in Postwar Belgium" ....)

Interestingly enough, because of the difficulty that was soon experienced in getting the early Chinese-contract pistols into China past the Japanese blockade, thousands of them were diverted into Canadian (and British) service, where they remained after the war ended. In an attempt to standardize the No. 2 pistol (i.e. the fixed rear sight model)in Canadian service, Canada's policy was to dispose of the "Chinese" model pistols it had. when giving away such post-war aid .... so all of the pistols given to Belgium in 1950 were that version. Then, later, Canada had any remaining tangent-sighted pistols converted to No. 2 specifications by milling off the existing rear sight base and pinning/brazing the distinctive fixed rear sight in its place.

Thus it is quite rare to now find an unaltered No. 1 pistol with provenance of having been in Canadian service - but mine is one of them! It has a C-broadarrow stamped on the rear of the slide on the left side .... in addition to the smaller C-broadarrow which got stamped (during manufacture) on the right side of the frame of all Inglis pistols -

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big - cool. thanks so much

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool photo! I know that our troops used some HPs in Nam but this is the first time I've seen photo evidence. Many thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.