Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all still new to the board, especially in this area of expertise. I've had this old Maadi sitting in a closet for years looked a few times for replacement stuff, mainly a top cover to replace existing as the pictures will tell why, but now I'm wanting to get rid of this chunky gal of a thumbhole stock. What is everyone using for their's? Dont know what exactly fits but would like to return to as much original as possible. I need some opinions or show yours off. Thought maybe look for some Russian furniture but still unsure yet looking for guidance thanks everyone love this community. And i do apologize for the awful pictures I know I messed up still new at this tell me what to snap a shot of and I will try.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
50,702 Posts
miss mine. stollen years and years back! looks great!

Reactions: Bengland

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,555 Posts
Maadi buttstocks come up for sale from time to time.
Ebay or Gunbroker or try a want to buy in the Marketplace here

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
when I bought mine, NIB at a gunshow back in 94, the first first thing I did after coming home with it was to look through the SHOTGUN NEWS and bought a Soviet laminated stock set that came with a pistol grip from GLOBAL .

when it came in I was a happy camper it was brand new still wrapped in the factory packing paper, it went on "like butter" :) then I threw away the MADDI stock.............the next thing I did was to cut the spot welds on the muzzle protector bought a slant compensator and screwed it on.

then I had it refinish.......the finish on yours looks 1,000 times better then what mine was, it looked like Ali took a rattle spray paint can and spray painted it during a sand storm

after doing all that, she looks like she's suppose to :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for your loss DK and I have been looking on the bay and broker but never done any business with anyone from this board and Sfc I thought mine was kinda rough around the edges but yours looks great I hate too see what that would cost in 2021 dollars haha

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Sfc I thought mine was kinda rough around the edges but yours looks great
yours could look just as good as mine, just have to do it, that's all.

I know that the rifle cost me 190 plus tax...........the stock set 50-70 bucks plus shipping, or something like that. the refinish job cost me close to what the rifle cost me

·
Registered
120 Posts
View attachment 3840946 View attachment 3840947 Hello to all still new to the board, especially in this area of expertise. I've had this old Maadi sitting in a closet for years looked a few times for replacement stuff, mainly a top cover to replace existing as the pictures will tell why, but now I'm wanting to get rid of this chunky gal of a thumbhole stock. What is everyone using for their's? Dont know what exactly fits but would like to return to as much original as possible. I need some opinions or show yours off. Thought maybe look for some Russian furniture but still unsure yet looking for guidance thanks everyone love this community. And i do apologize for the awful pictures I know I messed up still new at this tell me what to snap a shot of and I will try. View attachment 3840939 View attachment 3840941 View attachment 3840942 View attachment 3840943 View attachment 3840944
My Maadi made the same restoration trip as SfcRet's did.
Unfortunately, when I removed the muzzle nut, the factory reverse threads had been ground off. CNC Warrior has a good selection of slant brakes of different internal diameters and right/left hand thread options, if your Baby suffered "thread removal".
I used a laminated Romanian to replace the thumbhole stock.
Bayonet lug shoulders were ground down but I didn't attempt to restore them.
Best of luck with your restoration efforts.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,555 Posts
Maadi restoration parts have gotten more expensive.
But Egyptian bayonets, gas blocks with lugs intact, magazines, pouches, magazines and furniture do show up.
Even the Maadi crutch style folding stock.

Refinishing a Maadi with a rattle can paint that duplicates the non durable and somewhat less than perfect finish., is a pretty simple home project.

Much easier than bluing or a durable and more refined finish found on most combloc AK's.

Likewise the Maadi furniture is rougher in fit and finish than most other AKM types.

The Maadi is a good example of an AKM.
The story of it being closest to Russian is kind of a legend that was true 40 yeas ago when the only other US imports were Chinese and Hungarian and a few Yugoslavian AK's that have more differences from the Russian AKM pattern.

The Maadi production on Russian equipment is not much different than the euro combloc countries that also received USSR aid and tooling and parts for production.

The Egyptian manufacturing was more crude as their history of firearm production was not on par with the centuries old euro countries such as Poland, Yugoslavia, Hungary and Romania.

An Egyptian Maadi is a good and functional example of the AKM design that originated in the USSR in 1959. And spread widely to other countries in the 60's 70's and later.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
forgot to add, I also had to buy a spring for the muzzle retainer pin, I think the pin was still in the front sight, but it's been 27 years, maybe I had to also buy the pin as well.

Bengland do you see the retainer pin in your front sight?

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
while we are speaking of MAADIs............a couple years after buying my ARM I came across a MAADI RPM with folding bipod at a gun show. believe it was the same show I bought my ARM

at the time there were no RPK parts kit, the closest RPK around were the Chinese NHM 90. but they were pricy and I didn't want to spend that kind of money for one........so when I saw this RPM thought to myself, "self I can make that into a faux RPK", and the price was right for me to do that

so off to the SHOTGUN NEWS I went and found a Soviet RPK stock set, again it was brand spanking new.

the stock and upper handguards went on with no problem............the lower handhand gun didn't. I had to tweak it, by shaving off the wood where the handguard retainer went on, RPKs have a larger handguard retainer then the AKM, but a half hour or so got it to fit a AKM retainer :)

I didn't need to refinish the metal on this one, it looked pretty decent

and of course I just had to buy a 75 round soviet for it with the drum cover for it :)

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,555 Posts
The long barrel Maadi's are an interesting variant.
The RML model was also a long barrel.
I swapped out the thumbhole for a standard stock and added a muzzle device.

I sold it a month or so ago at the local gun shop on consignment.
Sold pretty quick at a surprising price.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,555 Posts
Some Egyptian accessories., unique color., 3 cell canvas ammo pouch and somewhat rough finish work.
The magazines have distinctive oval-ish deep spot welds on the rear latch area., and haphazard painted finish.
The white plastic oil bottle is unique.
The bayonets were with brown or blue/black handle panels as were the pistol grips in both colors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a gorgeous RPM I believe I will just have to keep looking for a good stock and grip on broker, I really dont know what current market prices are for everything found a top cover on GB but $70 plus shipping seemed way too much for it.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
That's a gorgeous RPM

I believe I will just have to keep looking for a good stock and grip on broker, I really dont know what current market prices are for everything found a top cover on GB but $70 plus shipping seemed way too much for it.
just cruising GB they seem to be hovering in the 250-400 dollar range.........this set is for a lot less, 180 bucks with the grip

RUSSIAN AK47 WOOD STOCK SETS (sovietstocks.com)

and to answer my question; is the muzzle retainer pin in your front sight?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw that website never heard of it before they look refinished but as for the retainer pin I'm not sure never really looked for one will have to check when I get off work, I am assuming it's a pin you have to punch out before attempting to remove the muzzle cover?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AKBLUE you have the whole Egyptian AK kit haha I like that wish I wouldve looked for this stuff years ago

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I saw that website never heard of it before they look refinished
they probably are, so what?... that is the least inexpensive stock set I have seen offered for sale

but as for the retainer pin I'm not sure never really looked for one will have to check when I get off work, I am assuming it's a pin you have to punch out before attempting to remove the muzzle cover?
the pin has a spring behind it, you press the pin it with your finger and unscrew the muzzle device......mine wasn't there, can't recall if the pin was in there or not, that's why I asked.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I sold it a month or so ago at the local gun shop on consignment.
Sold pretty quick at a surprising price.
oh come on now, you know that someone, in this case me :D, will want to know what that "surprising price" was :)

so give, what was the price? :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they probably are, so what?... that is the least inexpensive stock set I have seen offered for sale

the pin has a spring behind it, you press the pin it with your finger and unscrew the muzzle device......mine wasn't there, can't recall if the pin was in there or not, that's why I asked.
I will check when I get off, my muzzle nut is still welded on too

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,555 Posts
Egyptian parts and kits came into the USA at various times.
After the ban period imports of the assembled Maadi AK's.

In the past 10 years a couple of groups of imports made it to the USA.
They were from the Yugoslavian/Balkans War., imported to the USA from Serbia.
Copes, Coles and Arms of America and others offered them.

Entire parts kits with no barrel were a mix of non matching or matching serial numbers.
Laminate stocks or the crutch folders.
Some had Egyptian marked rear sight blocks and sight ladders.
$169-$199 for the kits and then the prices climbed as ARM and RML and other Maadi owners bought the parts to de- ban their rifles.

Pouches, bayonets and mags were available at reasonable prices.

But as with many parts and kits the prices climbed and the supply dwindled.

An example of a Imported Maadi kit.
Disassembled in Serbia and shipped in a clear heavy plastic bag with a Serbian language list of the parts contents.

A few of the parts from the kit shown are the crutch folder, trunion markings, rear sight block markings and sight ladder markings.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts