Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wants to lay down some serious dough on a secondary offer on this closed auction. I don't know the finer details of authenticating a legit sniper rifle; he knows even less. Can any of you shed some light with an opinion on this rifle. Last phrase: "this rifle was assembled in Germany by German gunsmiths at the end of world War Two." can be interpreted as post war....
Any help would be very appreciated,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81211872

DB

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
He can buy a repro sniper from a board sponsor for much less than that.
I can't comment on the auction as the pictures provided are too few and too poor.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,687 Posts
Why would anyone bid that much on a cobbled together rifle is beyond me. It has a nice story though.

First of all, it's not any type of factory built sniper- the little caveat by the seller pretty much sums it up- it's probably post war built in Germany for the GI souvenier trade. For one thing, the bolt is not matching- even though the number matches, it's pure luck for whoever owns it that it has the same number. The rifle itself is a late dou44, bolt looks like early Mauser, all the scope components are commercial at best, post war at worst, bands look wrong as well- early H band for a late dou? I always make sure the base rifle is good before I go any further- that one has problems. Anyway, it's not worth what the final bid was to sniper collectors.

If your friend wants to spend his money frivolously, he can go ahead and offer $10,000 for it. Make sure they throw the blanket in that the rifle was wrapped it- that could keep him warm when they turn his heat off this winter. Even some basic research should tell him that rifle isn't original.....

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Tell your friend to RUN away from this mess! That is about $500 worth of scope & Mounts on about $200 of a parts gun....and worth only that total. The scope& rings (From something other than this rifle) are not even sitting on the rifle correctly, or parrallel to the bore making it USELESS even as a shooter even.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bogus

fake all the way. check peter senich's book on the german sniper. I do not even think the germans used czech (spelling) rifles as a basis for their sniper rifles but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts
this rifle was assembled in Germany by German gunsmiths at the end of world War Two.

All of the German gunsmiths that were in Germany at the end of the war were being cobbled together by either the Allies or the Soviet and they weren't in any way made accessible to any firearms.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, guys, it will help in cooling his K98 sniper fever. Like I said, these aren't my strong point, so nothing I could say would necessarily slow him down.
Good info; and good points for us to file away in the back of our heads.
Cheers,
DB

·
Registered
14 Posts
I told this guy early on that his rifle was implausible as a "last ditch sniper". I think the tragedy is that the serials matched on the bolt, etc.. as far as I could tell from the photos. The stock had that red russian lacquer hue, but the photos were not clear.
He was upset with me, blaming me for his inability to sell the rifle for the inflated price.

He also stuck to his story....
>>> Dear Doctor,
> Lets get a few things straight ,
> A fake german sniper is a gun that never existed in the time period with
> scope , mounts, and rifle assembled together by germans in period 1939 to
> 1945, It is a rifle deliberately assembled to fool others for profit or
> bragging rights. This rifle does NOT fit the description of a fake.
> PERIOD. IT was built in Germany by Germans during WWII and brought back
> to the US by a famous
> GI immediately \post \war, PERIOD!! The Provenance for this has been
> shown freely. I sent the rifle to Alabama to be seen by Vince Di Nardi who
> validated its German origin. If you are a German sniper expert , then you
> know there were many Nazi arms that deviated somewhat from the earlier
> "Pure" product in late 44, 45.
> I will not deny its origin in any way, what else do you want? I have to
> move on to other matters.

I told him to get clear pictures and sell it for what it was, a wall-hanging Frankenstein.

The surprising thing is that somebody had enough dough to bid close to $3K on this!!

Jorge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts