Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that caught my post (http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=1976) a while back on the Tula 34/51 MO Marked M91/30 ex-sniper that I bought from TGI, I am in need of some advice. If you did see the post you'll remember that this was not a typical ex-sniper. Several gunboards members more knowledgeable than me concluded that it is a sniper utilizing the German GeCo mount and possibly an NKVD Sniper.

I purchased this rifle (above what I normally pay) because it filled 3 spots in my collection with one rifle and one price;
(1) post 1928 Tula, (2) MO Marked, (3) ex-sniper.

Now comes the part where I need advice. I also bought it because I would REALLY like to have a restored sniper. I probably would have purchased a good repro scope and mount at a later time and had what I wanted, but after finding out the past history of this rifle, that is near impossible to do. SO... I am throwing around the idea of trading or selling but I don't really know what would be a reasonable trade or value on this rifle.

For example I have seen threads asking "How much is my all original sniper and scope worth?" with most answers being in the $550-$850 range.

Would my (unscoped but rarer) rifle be a reasonable trade for a scoped sniper?

Or should I just keep it and wait to buy a scoped sniper in the (far) future? Any insight or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
265 Posts
I would keep it. That is one rare rifle, and you would always regret the day you sold it or traded it away...

I have a less rare, but still very uncommon '38 Tula PE Top-Mount Ex-Sniper that I would never consider selling. Only a small percentage of the 1938 Tula sniper production was made with a top-mount scope, and I would probably never stumble on another one again. In fact I do not want to alter this one in any way, so I'm not considering restoring it either.

But I'll bet folks have already PM'ed you with cash offers, just like I received after my first post on my rifle. It can be tempting!

Randy

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I'd keep it and look for an "ex" you can PU restore. They are out there and if you are lucky, for the same price as a normal 91/30, or get one from SAMCO and you are almost ready to go!

I cost me about $475 to resore a PU that was $89.00 (including the rifle)--cost of original scope/mount, bolt work and 'smith work, as I did not have the skills or inclination to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that was all the nudge I needed. I'll be patient and maybe stumble onto another sniper later on.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Keep your peepers open. I find them pretty regularly. They are definately not hard to find.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree with everyone else keep it. There doesn't seem to be many of these around there by the collectors value and price are bound to go up.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,190 Posts
If what you really want is a scoped sniper your best bet is to buy a Samco "bent bolt" rifle and put a PU scope and base on it. I doubt someone is going to trade you a scoped rifle for your rifle unless you added some money to the deal. In my opinion, what you paid for your rifle is right around what it's worth right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts