Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys .
I am trying to find some low recoil recipes for a mate of mine who wants a 303 but due to medical reasons he cannot tolerate any heavy recoil the most he can handle would be similar to a 223 or less .
He is planning on shooting it from a rest and I did suggest using the leadsled for his shooting but he wants to hold the rifle and not just squeeze the trigger.

Any ideas????

pugs....

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can make some very light loads for cast lead bullets that are quite accurate. Actually you end up pouring in more filler (like Cream of Wheat) than powder.

Lead bullets have to be fired at much lower velocities than FMJ or they will deform. The result is very mild recoil.

The lead bullets are available commercially (you don't have to mold your own) and many recipes are available in loading manuals. I would start with Lyman's because they specialize in cast lead shooting. And use the lightest loads for starters.

Also, consider using heavier rifles. Avoid carbines because, with a short barrel, they definitely will kick with a standard size rifle round.

The P14 has a longer barrel than an SMLE or No. 4 and much less perceived recoil (plus it's more accurate than an Enfield IMHO)

I won't give you any of my specific recipes. Not because they're secret (I found em in loading manuals) but if your pal hurts his shoulder using one, I don't want to be hearing from his lawyer :)

Hope that helps.

HT

·
Registered
403 Posts
cat sneezes

I hope that someone will understand what i mean by this!

Ed or someone may be able to add to this and/or correct me, i think the idea my stem from a carnival round, that a 32cal round ball was loaded into the mouth of the case, now here is where my memory fades.... and only 38 too! i cant recall the powder charge weight, but the sound of the round being fired sounded like a cat sneeze, im guessing it would not be great for distance but extremely gentle i would expect. If i can find the recipe i will post it.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
use the 311 diameter bullets such as those found for the sks in 7.62x39 cartridge. They are available in both soft point and ball or full metal jacketed.
Have hears of people useing them for regular shooting and hunting. Hope this helps. Frank

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Cast bullets and Red Dot... I have a load: will have to find it, that was I THINK..11.2 gr. of Red Dot with a grain or two of dacron or kapok filler and a 168 gr. cast bullet with a gas check. One after the other in the same hole at 50 yards. You can use some of the Lyman .30 cal molds and not size, just lub the bullet. With muffs on you hear/feel the click through the cheek bone and that is it.......no bang and no recoil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.