Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a guy with what he claims is German 8mm AP. It’s loose in an ammo can as he said the boxes were fragile and fell apart. He told me the Germans did not paint theirs like the US (black tip ) or other countries did. That being said, is that correct ? If correct , how can you tell if it’s AP and not regular ball ammo. Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
German “AP” is not as common as APT which has a black tip.

True AP will have a red primer paint seal.

You cannot ID AP ammo with a magnet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never use a magnet but I understand and thank you. So is there a way to identify by means of the headstamp?

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I never use a magnet but I understand and thank you. So is there a way to identify by means of the headstamp?
Your seller may use a magnet and call it AP.

No, RED primer seal is AP. GREEN is ball.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate the information. Eric
Brass case? Old German WW2 steel case can be “iffy” for shooting. Case head failure will be bad for you and your rifle. One blew my Hakim to pieces.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
German Smk

As stated, standard WW2 German 7,9 Smk (AP) is only identified by a red primer seal. There are other types as well. The pictures show the standard boxed Smk, as well as the other boxed variants. Regards, JH

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
8,954 Posts
"True AP will have a red primer paint seal."

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have some FN 8mm that has a green tip and a green primer sealant.
The head stamp is,
FN
U
Anyone know what they are?
I've been told they may be standard ball or maybe some kind of proof load or they could be tracers.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Pre WW2 FN export 7,9x57 AP. The green PA, neck seal, and Green tip code were in use by the UK about that time IIRC. Some lots do not have the mouth seal. Dates run into about 1940. Regards, JH

·
Copper Bullet member
8,954 Posts
The bottom symbol (U) is probably a Cyrillic letter (P) for Perforant, or Armor-Piercing. I believe it was a Belgian contract for Yugoslavia.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts