Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I answered an add in the local penny trader for a "old Colt revolver". I ended up taking home a Colt New Service model 1917. I cleaned it up and took it to the range this weekend. I was showing it to the range owner(who loves old Colts) and he tells me to wait a sec while he pulls out a similar revolver from his safe. While comparing the two we noticed his has an anchor on the butt next to the lanyard loop and the "Prancing Pony" looks like it is stamped over top of a row boat. Would be a Navy issued revolver? His is also chambered in .45LC. Here's a few pics I took with my cell phone.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That sight doesn't really help that much since it doesn't show differences in models. The pistol with the wooden grips(The range owners) could be a 1903, a 1905, or a 1909. Since Colt used the same serial numbers for different models that site doesn't help much if you don't know the model.

On edit, this is the target I shot with my new purchase. I shot a total of 18 rounds at a distance of 10yds. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
10,843 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
If you have a Colt Model 1917, it was only produced from 1917 to late 1919.

There are TWO serial numbers on the 1917.
The official US government number is stamped on the butt.
Since Colt decided it was just a version of the New Service, they stamped a Colt factory serial number on the frame under the barrel where the cylinder crane seats, on the cylinder crane, and inside the side plate.
WHICH is the "real" serial number is disputed by collectors. The government went by the butt number, and when the guns were sold as surplus, they were sold by the butt number.
As example, if you bought a 1917 through the old DCM program, the papers listed the butt number.
The serial number listing on proofhouse.com will tell you when Colt actually made the frame, but Colt didn't actually assemble it into a complete gun until the war when it was shipped.
This isn't of much use, since frames can sit in a warehouse for years before before being assembled into guns.

I don't know about the anchor stamp, but I can assure you that the US Navy NEVER used a row boat as any kind of stamp on firearms. I'd suspect it's part of an older style Colt marking.
As far as I know (note the qualifier) the Navy never added any stamps to the 1917 revolver, and I'm not even sure the Navy ever even used the 1917 except possibly during WWII.
I think (again the qualifier) the anchor is something else, not Navy.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
If you have a Colt Model 1917, it was only produced from 1917 to late 1919.

There are TWO serial numbers on the 1917.
The official US government number is stamped on the butt.
Since Colt decided it was just a version of the New Service, they stamped a Colt factory serial number on the frame under the barrel where the cylinder crane seats, on the cylinder crane, and inside the side plate.
WHICH is the "real" serial number is disputed by collectors. The government went by the butt number, and when the guns were sold as surplus, they were sold by the butt number.
As example, if you bought a 1917 through the old DCM program, the papers listed the butt number.
The serial number listing on proofhouse.com will tell you when Colt actually made the frame, but Colt didn't actually assemble it into a complete gun until the war when it was shipped.
This isn't of much use, since frames can sit in a warehouse for years before before being assembled into guns.

I don't know about the anchor stamp, but I can assure you that the US Navy NEVER used a row boat as any kind of stamp on firearms. I'd suspect it's part of an older style Colt marking.
As far as I know (note the qualifier) the Navy never added any stamps to the 1917 revolver, and I'm not even sure the Navy ever even used the 1917 except possibly during WWII.
I think (again the qualifier) the anchor is something else, not Navy.
They do not have Model 1917.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts