Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the group make out the info on this spam can? Like year, factory, bullet weight, anything?
Pretty sure it's Albanian, from the headstamp: 90 over a 3 . The packets use multi-colored string and plain white to tie them up.

Also, who wrapped these neat little packets? I could romanticize it and say, Little Albanian woman in a cold factory, babushkas covering their heads, wrapping 7.62x54r rounds, in two 12 hour shifts.

If it's Albanian, would the galvanized can be indicative of that country?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for looking, and the reply.
Historically, I'd also like to find out what city and/or factory these came from.
Maybe some of that is printed on the can, maybe not.

Sometimes, it's more than just shooting.

A while back, did a short writeup of historical data of my Albanian SKSs, which I gleaned from various internet sources.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for looking, and the reply.
Historically, I'd also like to find out what city and/or factory these came from.
Maybe some of that is printed on the can, maybe not.

Sometimes, it's more than just shooting.

A while back, did a short writeup of historical data of my Albanian SKSs, which I gleaned from various internet sources.
Very little info on the Albanian 54r ammo on the net. You may have to look around. 7.62x54r.net has a good bit of info but very little on what factories made what.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,659 Posts
The Albanian ammunition factory was located in the village of Gërdec in the Vorë Municipality which blew up on 15 March 2008.

Patrick

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a galvanized can of (maybe) Bulgarian 7.62x25.
I've spent a good deal of time on 7.62x54r.net, not only for this, but for all my Communist Bloc arms. I 'binged' "Albanian ammunition" and got a little info, mostly about the massive explosion at the Gerdec depot in 2008.
They were deactivating ammo there. (note to Albanian civilians; Don't smoke when you're sitting on tons of gunpowder.)
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

PS: Now gotta find out what "ZAK (T)" on the can stands for. :)

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,659 Posts
(T) is the cartridge case which in Albanian is tunxh (brass)
ZAK I believe is the bullet type ... Steel-Core Light Ball, which is based upon the Russian designation ЛПС (LPS)

Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts