Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys and gals, You may remember me from my thread asking about the Type 97 6.5mm Arisaka/ Kokura sniper rifle my Father owns in which I asked about a month or so ago. We really appreciated all the fantastic info we received from Gunboards on it too.

In that thread I mentioned my Father also had a czechoslovakian war rifle of which he was wanting to know more about. He'd like to know more about the "history" of it & the true value of it in today's collector rifles market.

I *finally* now have the time to post pics and make a thread to ask about
this Czechoslovakian rifle...........hopefully this will be as exciting for Dad & myself as the Arisaka turned out to be....We'd like to know as much as we can find out about this rifle...what year this one was made if possible, how many of this type was made and what it's worth in today's market and/or to a collector of old war weapons...

So ...Let us get to the S#, proofmarks and other info engraved/stamped on this rifle.

So ....that the experts here on Gunboards can "check it out" (no pun intended....well maybe LOL) .

Serial #: G58913 foremost left side front of receiver AND on left side end of butt stock

CESKOSLOVENSA ZBROJOVKA,AS,BRNO with VZ24 underneath it and to the right of the S#

What looks to me like , either DR or an RR with first "R" not stamped well see pics.. DR/RR 17 3 2 3 on the bolt's handle

What looks like a 5 inside a half of a square on bolt handle's *knob* and another marking I can't decipher

And on top of foremost part of the receiver , a large emblem stamped or engraved that appears to be somewhat/sorta like/similar to what Arisakas have, of which only *each side of* (L & R ) seem to be still there. The center portion of this emblem has either been worn or or sanded off. But can make out a fant portion of part of the center of this emblem *barely*.

Let me know if I need to disassemble the rifle to see if it is numbers matching. I'll need info on how to disassemble it though.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Definitely a Czech VZ24.

The crest missing on the top of the receiver was a rampant lion, which would have looked a lot like a larger version of the lion in what I read as an "E4(lion)32" (or maybe its a 37, hard to see) Czech acceptance stamp above the serial number in the receiver.

If you take that rifle out to shoot it, be very wary of that sling swivel in the wrist of the stock.

Every time I would take one of my VZ24's out to shoot, that swivel would invariably smack me in the mouth and give me a fat or bloody lip. It is not by accident when they rearsenaled those VZ24's and turned them into 24/47's they would remove the wrist swivel and plug the hole.

They are built on the long Mauser action. Bolt and other major parts will interchange with those on any K98k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely a Czech VZ24.

The crest missing on the top of the receiver was a rampant lion, which would have looked a lot like a larger version of the lion in what I read as an "E4(lion)32" (or maybe its a 37, hard to see) Czech acceptance stamp above the serial number in the receiver.

If you take that rifle out to shoot it, be very wary of that sling swivel in the wrist of the stock.

Every time I would take one of my VZ24's out to shoot, that swivel would invariably smack me in the mouth and give me a fat or bloody lip. It is not by accident when they rearsenaled those VZ24's and turned them into 24/47's they would remove the wrist swivel and plug the hole.

They are built on the long Mauser action. Bolt and other major parts will interchange with those on any K98k.
Does the "rampant lion" emblem wear off easily or is it more likely to have been sanded off to export it to other countries after war/import it to the USA..sorta like Japanese Arisakas?

Is he collector market good or bad right now on these? And what might a real world collector paid price be at an collector gun auction and/r what is good reserve price on it?

My father is looking to possibly sell it to fund his other gun interests at the moment

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,510 Posts
VZ24 rifle, accepted by the Czech government in 1938, likely made that year, probably never issued. Sold to Romania at the beginning of the Romanian contract in late 1939 or early 1940 (now has a Romanian contract bolt). Stock is original.

Made by ZB in Povazska Bystrica, Slovakia as indicated by both the G5 serial number prefix and the E4 acceptance mark. Serial number is G5 8913 (not G58913). Czechoslovak lion crest removed by Romania post WWII.

These sell on Gunbroker for around $250.

The receiver, barrel, stock, and bolt handle were numbered.

Ronbo6: Yugo rebuilt VZ24 rifles (not this one) were M24/52C. The M24/47 was a rebuilt Yugo M24.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VZ24 rifle, accepted by the Czech government in 1938, likely made that year, probably never issued. Sold to Romania at the beginning of the Romanian contract in late 1939 or early 1940 (now has a Romanian contract bolt). Stock is original.

Made by ZB in Povazska Bystrica, Slovakia as indicated by both the G5 serial number prefix and the E4 acceptance mark. Serial number is G5 8913 (not G58913). Czechoslovak lion crest removed by Romania post WWII.

These sell on Gunbroker for around $250.

The receiver, barrel, stock, and bolt handle were numbered.

Ronbo6: Yugo rebuilt VZ24 rifles (not this one) were M24/52C. The M24/47 was a rebuilt Yugo M24.

Regards,
Bill
OK thank you for the info geladen. Victor told me to post it here a month or so ago. Dad & I were very unsure what it was worth. And someone asked my Father what he was asking for it. Dad wanted to find out what it was worth before mentioning a price to him.

Dad didn't want to sell it too cheap and find out it was worth much more too late.

Also we say *thank you* to the other posters as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, dad has decided to keep this rifle and pass it on to me one day after my asking him to.

I re-read this entire thread but looks like I failed to previously ask what CALIBER is this rifle? 7mm? 7.62mm? or 8mm?

Can anyone tell me by the serial #, and other info I supplied in the original post? Or do we need to try to chamber a empty brass to be sure?

Dad doesn't recall....and at 92 I'd be surprised if I could either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would originally have been made in 7.92X57 (8mm Mauser).
OK I appreciate the quick answer. I found some new but bought years ago 8mm Norma brass in his reloading room, so must be he purchased it for this rifle.

but there was new, but old Norma 7.7mm brass and new, but old Norma 7mm brass in there too , so was unsure which this rifle was.

I'll try one of the 8mm and see how she fits.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I'd leave this note: The caliber is stamped on the right hand side of the muzzle end of the barrel. it's a fairly light and pretty small stamping but it is legible.

Thought this might be just one more bit of evidence for others to look for/notice on theirs or others.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,510 Posts
Thought I'd leave this note: The caliber is stamped on the right hand side of the muzzle end of the barrel. it's a fairly light and pretty small stamping but it is legible.

Thought this might be just one more bit of evidence for others to look for/notice on theirs or others.
That's a part of the import markings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts