Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how to zero this thing, if you can do that with a Mosin. Any advice? Anyone I can call? I have been shooting at 100 meters but all various ammo is high from point of aim, and can't seem to do better than about a plate sized group. The bore and barrel are in great shape and I have tried Czech Silver tip, Bulgy, and the 80's Yugo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here are some tips

Had a similar problem with mine when I first got it. I can now shoot 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards (think I can do better with better range conditions).

Some MN's are better than others. If your crown is good, you have a good bore, your action screws are sufficiently tight, etc. there are a few other tips you can try.

Here is an article on the topic of tips I compiled from several sources:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1326529/how_to_make_your_mosin_nagant_9130.html?cat=11

Good luck... these are great rifles, sometimes they just need some tweaking. :D

·
Administrator
3,480 Posts
Try tightening the two action screws and using a 6 o'clock sight picture. Most of these rifles shoot high if you're aiming at the center of the target. To remove the front sight post, you must remove the entire hood from its dovetail and drive the pin down and out. An easier method is to place a small piece of electrical shrink tubing over the existing post, heat it til it shrinks tight and then trim it down to the desired height. Let us know what your progress is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Follow what is discribed in the link on second page. The wire (black 10-12 guage) insulation trick works make the peice longer than needed, take a hobby knife with you to the range trim it as need after checking POI every three or four shots. Good luck

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
.........do like the Russians did, put on the bayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks, not sure I am ready to start drilling on my rifle yet. Are the front sight posts threaded in or pressed in? Do they come in different sizes/lengths? Thanks for any help.
I wouldn't drill either. My scope is attached with a mount that replaces the rear sight leaf. There is no drilling just tap out a pin and install the mount in the leaf's place.

·
Registered
255 Posts
:( Forgive me for being in-correct with history, guys, but I want to use mine to hunt and the bayo just won't cut it for that. Still there are things that can be done. You just have to read up a little.

From what I have seen, a lot of people really shrink groups with some better sights. Lots of people put on apeture sights like mojo and others do the scout scope mount. Neither requires a gunsmith or any permanent alteration to the rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.