Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to skip the big Lakeland show (the wife did) and went to a smaller show in Tampa. Picked up this T-99 rifle but not sure if this rifle is trainer or last ditch rifle. it is definitely not an "Naval Special" as the receiver bridge is not oversize or does it have a anchor marking.

The stock is a normal T-99 stock with repairs and the recoil bolt hole, drain holes and cleaning rod attachments have been plugged. The trigger guard looks like it came from a t-38 rifle and the sight also.

The bolt is also about a half inch shorter than a regular t-99 bolt. Wanted to get opinions on what it is. It definitely a neat rifle.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,655 Posts
Looks like a T99 short rifle blank trainer. BBL marking is Shibata Type, according to MROJ 5th ed. p174

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Yes, it's a Type 99 short Shibata training rifle. These were constructed on surplus or reject Japanese Type 99 service rifle stocks. Can you send me a PM with the serial number that appears oin the top wrist tang? I can't quite make the number out. Youts looks to have painted markings indicating it once belonged to a middle school. I once owned serial number 655 which was marked "四中47."

Nice acquisition!

C/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts