Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Double barrel, double trigger, cap and shot/ball. Triggers have a half cock safety feature. German silver? There is scrolling underneath on trigger guard. Shotgun has been taking apart and no markings located. Chipped mother of pearl button on bottom side of forearm. Partly checkered stock. Hairline crack leading from edge of metal side plates to rear tang. To be auctioned at local church tomorrow as part of their fund raiser. What is the possible origin of country and value. Thanks

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,654 Posts
Hmm - well, seems to missing the ramrod. General configuration looks European to me (especially the sling fittings), and probably central Europe to my eye. Germany, Austria?

Lack of any markings makes it hard. I'd say a "Guild gun", relatively low-priced when new. I'd judge value primarily as a decorator - maybe $200-250 and feel pretty good.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,654 Posts
First thought would have been a guild gun, but overall construction just looks too poor to be this. My thoughts are a low-end production SXS made for the American trade. Belgian?
Maybe, but not Belgian - no markings and won't find anything Belgian since c.1818 without markings. At least elg/* in oval and perron.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a feel for Austria and/or Belgium. My thought it may have been built for local use as an English goose gun. Double 3/4 inch bores. However with such a tapered neck on the stock I couldn't see how it would be able to stand up to continuous use in the field. I like the term "Door stopper" vs. wall hanger for this shotgun. Thank you on its probable value and will pass that on and continue to check this forum. I wonder if the church should keep it to ramrod wayward Christians. American Gentile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.