Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks! I am looking at possibly buying this German proofed Browning Hi-Power but do have couple of questions. It has WaA140 acceptance marks on frame, slide, and the barrel, however there are no test proofs anywhere. Magazine is parkerized, not blued, and has what appears as either a Pi symbol or cyrillic P, so I am thinking it's not original to the gun. Serial number in 155xxx range. There is a large L stamped on the heel, and MR on the trigger guard, but I am not sure what those mean. Bluing is excellent, I would give it a very conservative 90%

The seller is asking $800 but is willing to negotiate. Is there anything suspect about this pistol and does the absence of firing proofs hurt the value much? What should I offer? TIA

View attachment 766147 View attachment 766148 View attachment 766150 View attachment 766151 View attachment 766153

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
The magazine mark is JI which stands for the John Inglis Company, it's a magazine for the WW2 Canadian made High Power. The Parkerized finish is correct for their products. From the photos it appears that the High Power was reblued at some point. The later German occupation made High Powers showed final machining marks as they weren't polished before bluing. The L and MR on the frame are factory inspection markings. Any collectors value has been adversely affected, it's a shooter and the price should reflect that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The magazine mark is JI which stands for the John Inglis Company, it's a magazine for the WW2 Canadian made High Power. The Parkerized finish is correct for their products. From the photos it appears that the High Power was reblued at some point. The later German occupation made High Powers showed final machining marks as they weren't polished before bluing. The L and MR on the frame are factory inspection markings. Any collectors value has been adversely affected, it's a shooter and the price should reflect that.
Is there a way to definitevly tell if it has been reblued or not, and what would its price should be then?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,261 Posts
Take our word for it, the pistol HAS been reblued. Like stated already, the original blue was thin and tool marks were very obvious. Your pictures show some ripples from the polishing done before bluing.
As to cost, some people thing anything with WAa stamped on it is worth double. Only if original! With Cole Distributors selling shooter grade Hi-Powers for $350 to $500, that is all I would pay. The barrel would have to be very good to bring the higher end of that range. The Inglis mag is not worth as much as a Nazi marked one but still would bring $50.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,099 Posts
The Inglis mag is not worth as much as a Nazi marked one but still would bring $50.[/QUOTE]

Inglis mags are worth substantially more than $50. I sold a really nice one today at the Tulsa show for $150 and they will sometimes bring $200 on gun broker. An average one will bring $100. That being said, the original German proofed mags will bring even more and are difficult to find.

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
I agree. Definitely reblued. They may have polished off the firing proofs.
+1, defiantly reblued and polished. Which translates to zero original finish.. which is why its probably priced where it is. Usually decent nazi germany hipowers are north of 1k. Its a shooter grade at most.. and for the condition it is in its still to high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.