Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep, that link is so old it is fossilized. I think this goes back to 1999-2002. Best I could find. Few are actually writing new significant research posts for the web. I suggest you guys write a much needed, detailed, up to date thesis with some nice photos of some known examples of the different modified fakes produced by some of the assorted companies and the real ones by the Malayan arsenal repairs. That would be a great sticky, about info. few know about. Detailed pictures would be helpful. Any examples would be great. You could expand on the old post by talking about each maker then actually showing photos of a few examples of the Santa Fe, Navy Arms, and Federal look-a-likes then some of the Malayan ones. Do I hear any takers?

This would be a much needed reference. I only have 2 JCs of each year of manufacture 1944-47. That was when they were $135 each and just dumped onto the American market. Pickings were good back in the day.
I guess it's like a real K98k vs an RC K98k. Do most consider such a patched together Malayan JC as junk? Or like an RC, is it considered a specific" type" that most do not wish to own? Most K98k collectors frown on RCs and consider them bottom of the barrel rifles. How many would really want such a patched/repaired/ sort of last ditch JC???? Is it like an Enfield with an Ishy screw, sort of not a great desirable item???
I actually know a guy at one of the shows that collects examples of Golden State Arms. I guess each has his or her cup of tea.

I will take an intact, matching Jungle Carbine any day, just that I would never pay more than $200, so my days are gone. Like the $79 Savage no.4's that were at all the stores back around 2005-2007. Buy 10 of the best and have fun with the hunt to find the best, but actually, I never would have though someone would pay $500 for one. I used one as trade to fix my car.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
"England" stamped on that rifle is not a problem. Thats an early import marking prior to 1968 Gun Law. It merely means its an early import. I am sure those with Jungle Carbines that filtered south from Canada will disagree as theirs do not have that England stamp and ..it no one cares but them. The price is not out of reason but I'd waltz in with 11 each $50 US Grants and lay that out to the seller. Often times a wad of $50's stuns them and they take it.

4 things: Is this all matching numbers and if not , don't pay anywhere near his asking price.
Double check the wood .to see if its been refinished
Make sure its not a No.4 faked to be a No.5.
Rear sight should go to 800 only. If it reads greater then its a No.4 rear sight.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The price is not out of reason but I'd waltz in with 11 each $50 US Grants and lay that out to the seller. Often times a wad of $50's stuns them and they take it.

4 things: Is this all matching numbers and if not , don't pay anywhere near his asking price.
Double check the wood .to see if its been refinished
Make sure its not a No.4 faked to be a No.5.
Rear sight should go to 800 only. If it reads greater then its a No.4 rear sight.
I like it!

·
Registered
189 Posts
On a positive side, I hope Collation's find is intact and he can get a nice JC for say $500-$600.
Peterson in his 2020 price guide on page 231 lists an intact matching, non refinished, import marked JC at very good $600, good at $450. He also stated those dated 1944 &1945 command a 20% increase.
I like the above post about $50 bills, and it has a $20 sling and 40 rounds at 70 cents per round to boot, say $25- 28 worth of ammo to sweeten the deal.
A JC is one sexy rifle that kicks like a mule and is a hoot to shoot, A real eye catcher at the range. If you own an Enfield, a JC or SMLE are classics.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The info on the No5s,mods and fakes has already been done it is just buried back in time.
Prices for No5s are cheap in the USA. they are selling up to $2k AUD for good ones.
I am not complaining the value of my collection just keeps going up . Some times I pay more than I want to which just means it will take a little longer to become a cheap buy for someone else. Inflation is a bitch but you cant stop it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
There is a reason why rear view mirrors are smaller than the windscreen. one shows what is coming and where you are going the other what has past never to be seen again.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Anyway one tilts the mirrors here in USA, the No.5 has been getting more uncommon to find , condition all over the map and prices slowly increasing . They are at the point where if you want one, you can still hunt and choose a great one but in another 5 years, it will become IF you can find one. Then on, pay out your nose and good luck finding one. Not the time anymore to say I'll get one later because Later is in that rear view mirror.

Special Note To Lyman : On his worst day at Chantilly Show, he missed the righteous, all matching, mint condition No.5 with bayonet for $500 and it went home with me. The $650 asking price was seduced by ten US Grants and out the door I went before someone yelled Thief.

No.5's always are a Stop Sign for me. I stop and look at any up for sale. Don't need one and have too many but I don't walk away from one that can be had for a decent price. I maintain : SNooze Ya Lose. No.5's are pure gold.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
51,173 Posts
On a positive side, I hope Collation's find is intact and he can get a nice JC for say $500-$600.
Peterson in his 2020 price guide on page 231 lists an intact matching, non refinished, import marked JC at very good $600, good at $450. He also stated those dated 1944 &1945 command a 20% increase.
I like the above post about $50 bills, and it has a $20 sling and 40 rounds at 70 cents per round to boot, say $25- 28 worth of ammo to sweeten the deal.
A JC is one sexy rifle that kicks like a mule and is a hoot to shoot, A real eye catcher at the range. If you own an Enfield, a JC or SMLE are classics.

with respect,

take that book, and Blue Book of Gun Values, and Flayderman's and any other paper copy of a published book on values and use it for one purpose,

descriptions, (I know some of yall were thinking I was going to say use as TP :) )

they can all help you if you have doubts about a make, model, variation MK # etc etc,

but if that book was bought as it left the printing press today, it's pricing is at least 6 months off,

more likely years off,

pricing is much more fluid that any printed data, unless that data is verified sold pricing,

I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that that No5 as pictured is matching numbers, I sold 2 in not quite as good shape in Feb 2020 for $750 and the buyers did not flinch at that price

that's mid atlantic east coast pricing,

may vary a bit online, or in your zipcode

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Hell, now I want this No.5!

Reactions: GColloton

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I learned some 'good stuff' here! Not a SMLE collector particularly, just an admirer with 'some'. :) I do now realize it quite likely my great looking No 5 specimen, is too good, almost surely a stock refinish. I've had it so long, that only a decently talented Bubba's hand to have refurbed it if so. They were still relatively inexpensive as I acquired mine. No specific recollection, but probably not more than $100~!
Thanks for the experts' rendered opinion & my resulting education!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hell, now I want this No.5!
If you want it bad enough I could sell you the seller’s contact information but then OP might not speak to me anymore. Lol.
I think you know what the "real" values of these are now (9C, maybe more-I oughta know, I just sold 2 of them). It looks legit, and the stock may even be OK. I'd grab it. A year from now, it will be considered an assault rifle.
A year from now the piece of tree branch that falls in my back yard will be considered a potential gun stock and I’ll need a background check to cut it up and throw it in my yard waste bin.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts