Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
edit* I’m not sure why, but the photo of the other side of the rifle shows as “sensitive content”.

I have an opportunity to buy an Enfield No5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine locally from an individual seller, but I only have limited info to research before seeing it in person.

I was hoping some of the knowledge on these boards could help me make an informed purchase.

94B8A422-F22C-489F-B1A4-980312CF5545.jpeg

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
3855C222-01FE-40B9-B21A-B5AD590D5EDF.jpeg

I had a brief conversation with the seller and he texted me the two photos and I asked if the parts matched. He said he believes it’s original and that he’s shot it and it works well and the bore is minty. He thought for sure it was 1944, but while we were talking he couldn’t find it stamped anywhere.

The markings are as follows:

E2166

BSA

BNP 18.5

Does anything look unusual or questionable?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
125 Posts
It looks like it has the right lightening cut on the right side of the receiver under the rear sight and the bolt handle looks hollowed out which is right. The rear sight should only be marked to 800 yards. It’s hard to say more without better pictures, specifically of markings on the left side of the receiver and back receiver socket. If you can take the top hand guard off there should be lightening cuts on the barrel shank.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses so far, I’ve noted everything.

I’ve been having trouble dating the rifle from the e2166 serial number. Like I mentioned, the seller felt confident that it was made in 1944, but as he looked at the gun he couldn’t find a date, then wondered if he had crossed over the serial to think that or if it was under the wood. Can it be dated from the serial number?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far, I’ve noted everything.

I’ve been having trouble dating the rifle from the e2166 serial number. Like I mentioned, the seller felt confident that it was made in 1944, but as he looked at the gun he couldn’t find a date, then wondered if he had crossed over the serial to think that or if it was under the wood. Can it be dated from the serial number?
E prefix was December 1944

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Looks good from here!

Stock looks fine by me.

Reactions: GColloton

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Looks good from here!

Stock looks fine by me.
edit* I’m not sure why, but the photo of the other side of the rifle shows as “sensitive content”.

I have an opportunity to buy an Enfield No5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine locally from an individual seller, but I only have limited info to research before seeing it in person.

I was hoping some of the knowledge on these boards could help me make an informed purchase.

View attachment 3782444

View attachment 3782445

I had a brief conversation with the seller and he texted me the two photos and I asked if the parts matched. He said he believes it’s original and that he’s shot it and it works well and the bore is minty. He thought for sure it was 1944, but while we were talking he couldn’t find it stamped anywhere.

The markings are as follows:

E2166

BSA

BNP 18.5

Does anything look unusual or questionable?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The stock does not look refinished to me based on these pictures, it looks similar to a couple other ww2 production examples I’ve seen. If it’s all matching $675 with 40 rnds of modern ammo is not awefull

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here is a review on SRF what to look at when you see it. The Pictures are reposted lower on page 1 and 2 . It shows fine details. Check your strap serial number and bolt number do they match. You need a macro close up view of the left side receiver markings, the left side strap and the rear serial number on the bolt prior to any purchase. In WI these seem to be priced $650-750. Others more. A bayonet is $250. Does it come with bayonet? Could you be that lucky? On some the magazine serial number still matches.

Maybe also read this info:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock does not look refinished to me based on these pictures, it looks similar to a couple other ww2 production examples I’ve seen. If it’s all matching $675 with 40 rnds of modern ammo is not awefull

That’s the asking price. There might be room for negotiation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a review on SRF what to look at when you see it. Picture reposted lower on page 1 and 2 . It shows fine details. Check your strap serial number and bolt number do they match. you need a macro close up view of the left side receiver markings, the left side strap and the rear serial number on the bolt prior to any purchase. In WI these seem to be priced $650-750. Others more. A bayonet is $250. Does it come with bayonet? Could you be that lucky?
There’s some great info here, thank you. I don’t believe it has the bayo unfortunately. I’m going to see it in person so I’ll be able to check the markings up close.

Do the BNP proof markings mean it was made available for civilian purchase? Does that hurt the value? Thanks again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree about a possible refinish on the stock. Your pictures do not enlarge. It is hard to say, I just do not see normal dings and dents . I would ask for close up views of stock markings or the wood surface. A refinish decreases a collectors value by as much as 40%. Is it an arsenal refinish OK, or a homeboy redo???
No, it may actually be stamped ENGLAND on the strap. What you want is a non refinished WW II original condition stock and matching bolt on a real JC Be advised there are a good number of FAKES made from number 4 rifles

see Lee-Enfield Modifications, Replicas, and Fakes

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
BNP for sales to the public are considered as part of its British history. Deduct 13 cents off the price if you feel better for it. :)

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
BNP for sales to the public are considered as part of its British history. Deduct 13 cents off the price if you feel better for it. :)
I disagree with JB, I have a Canadian pre-Victory that has a proof on each chamber. It's pretty cool, so I would actually add 13 cents to the value. For each one! 😁

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
72 USMC
Your link on mods replica and fakes does not mention the fact that the Brits made No5s with No4 actions and forends because they ran out of spare parts for the No5 and used No4 parts in lou of.
Cpt P Laidler notes from Malaya. No5 actions spread breaking the sight pivot pin. 50 rifles came into base work shop 50 had to go out. When there were no more rifles or parts in store you made do we used No4 actions.
So some called fakes maybe not be so fake but have real history.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
72 USMC
Your link on mods replica and fakes does not mention the fact that the Brits made No5s with No4 actions and forends because they ran out of spare parts for the No5 and used No4 parts in lou of.
Cpt P Laidler notes from Malaya. No5 actions spread breaking the sight pivot pin. 50 rifles came into base work shop 50 had to go out. When there were no more rifles or parts in store you made do we used No4 actions.
So some called fakes maybe not be so fake but have real history.
Someone has been listening ............................

·
Platinum Bullet Member
51,291 Posts
from the pics, it looks good,

price is not bad,

hand the owner 6 Ben Franklin's and see if he is good,,

1 - 20 of 54 Posts