Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy picked up this gun not to long back at a good price. After going thru it and cycling some dummy rounds before taking it out to shoot, it had some loading issues.
When you go to pull the lever back after pushing it forward cocking it, the round wants to jam on the way in. Mabey one in three.
After this happening a couple times we broke the gun down to check it out.
I'll have to see if he still has the picture of it out of the gun and add it later, but looks like the carrier is twisted or bent slightly.
After researching where to find a new carrier, we could not find one for this gun that matched the carrier that is in it.

If you guys could give me any info on this gun. Any at all, i would be greatly appreciative. Or perhaps where i might be able to find the proper replacement part?

If you look at the carrier, you can tell it's been beat up somehow. Not sure if that was from my buddy or not.
He claims he wasn't rough with it when a round got stuck and he initially had to call me to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just from me not having any knowledge, why would they stamp it a M92 if it's a M94? Seem counter productive to me lol.
Buddy got this from a relative of an old gunsmith that passed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, like i said it came from an old gunsmith. So no telling what he pieced together to make this. The action is surprising smooth and tight minus the feeding problem, and the paint on the reciever.
So best i can tell armed with that new information. This is a pre 64? There seems to be two different versions of the carrier for this gun. The one it has looks like the early one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said he pieced it together. It is not a pre 64 rifle. Also not sure why someone would paint the receiver silver. By looking the pictures and you mentioning the issues with the rifle, you now know why your buddy was able to get it at a good price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yea, i told him when he looked at it. But she knew also, gave him a low low price and he took it off her hands. He was aware he may not be able to work it out.
We are close friends with the seller who is liquidating her brothers stuff, "the old gunsmith" so it's a give and take understanding between us.
Last i was over i also grabbed this box sitting around his gunshop. I take it here is the pieces and parts from the piece together. Looks like the original carrier, some screws, springs, feed rails, and a piece of the ammo tube that was cut off when the rifle was shortened.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That barrel was produced by Numrich Arms for the 1892 Winchester as a replacement .
They made 44 mag too , I see someone stamped /40 after .44 .Hopefully they didn't just guess .That's not Numrich marking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, my best guess it was a .44 barrel and he worked it for a 44/40 for this frakenstien. He had all the fancy tools, his own gunsmith workshop on his property, range, and a horde of guns, ammo, reloading, hunting, fishing, survival stuff, etc, etc.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
In 'learning mode central' here! Apparently the "why men climb mountains" same motive as "why such conversions" reflected here! "Because they're there!" Upside, to suppose buying into such a rifle still much better than falling off a mountain! :) Just not sure 'how' much better! :) :) :)
Good luck & may the farce be with you!
A serious...
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I Have a 44-40 M94,made IIRC1973......anyhoo my point is there wernt a lot made ,most 44s are 44M.....consequently ,this may have been a 44M or even 30/30......the pressed steel lifter is correct for the model,and looks to be a 44 one ,which I think will all be the same .....a 30/30 lifter is quite different.......I suspect the cartridge guides in the reciever may be wrong ,possibly for 44M or even for 30/30 and ground out.......These guns are notoriously difficult to alter the guides and have correct feeding.....Finally ,why the paint?.........these guns are notorious for getting a rusty brown patina on the reciever .

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,722 Posts
Don't give up on it, it could be something simple like crap under a side rail...try some paint stripper that wont harm the original finish, you may be surprised whats under it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think it's paint. It might be the original finish. In the picture it looks like cracks, it actually something hard stuck to the finish. Best i can describe it as is old liquid nails or some type of epoxy. Mabey it was on a work table and he set it down on it.

This by no means is a fast moving project. But me and my buddy normally get something like this and work on it slowly. I think it will make a nice piece in the end. Im sure we will get it cleaned up real nice after we get the mechanics worked out. He would seek out a gunsmiths hand in fixing something before getting rid of it.

I'll try to keep ya updated. As now we need to try to find the right carrier and where to order it from.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
OK ,for reference......the lifter in pic #9 looks OK ,the component is punched and heavily folded in manufacture ,and a bit prone to breakage .....the LH side cartridge guide is short by about 1/8",either ground away ,or broken .This may cause problems as the lifter is stopped against the guides either side....the 44/40 model was supposedly made for the Australian market ,and not common in the US where 44M was preferred.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts