Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Mauser Model 14 very cheap as it does not work. When the trigger is fired is just makes a small click sound but the striker does not move forward. I can make the clicking sound with the mag in or out. The striker is always cocked so I can repeat this sound every time I pull the trigger. It came with an after market magazine which may or may not be correct for the gun. IF the mag is not correct, I am thinking the problem is simply that the mag when inserted is not releasing the mag safety mechanism.

I cannot disassemble this gun as I must release the striker to do so. I can get the slide partially forward as seen in the pics when I follow the instructions I have found on line. In the pic, you can see the striker is not released.

Or it could be that the gun was taken apart by a previous owner and not put back together correctly or there could be a broken part.

I have also tried to take the grips off in order to get a better look at the insides. But they are wooden and will not just simply slide off and I do not know how they are suppose to come off. I do not want to break them forcing them in any way.

So... I have four questions that I think I need answered in order to solve my problem.

1. Does this look like a correct magazine?

2. For any one that have one of these, if you do not have the magazine in the gun, the gun is cocked and you pull the trigger, does it make a clicking noise?

3. How do the grips come off?

4. Is there a way to release the striker with the gun as is? I have tried to just press down on the sear but it will not budge?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just updating. I have gotten the grip offs fine using some credit cards. I have determined the magazine is fine and was one of the ones sold by Numrich. I can get the magazine safety fully engaged with the same results.

So... as I can see it, I am left with one theory. The gun is broken inside or was not put together right and I cannot release the striker to take the gun apart to see what is wrong. Unless, there is a way to release the striker on its own and not by pulling the trigger.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome self-help thread!
Yeah... I not real patient when it come to waiting around for help. I kept at it for 3 hours. Majspud was a big help as well. He helped me narrow down to what part was the problem and that I did not need to release the striker to take the slide off. :) Once I had that info, the post cited above made sense and that was all it took.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And what did the problem turn out to be?
It is in the post on the thread I linked but I would be happy to repeat here. There is a spring that runs along the backstrap and it is dual purposed. The part is called the mag catch. It is part #16 here. http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/10-14M/1014-02/1014-02.html

On the bottom it acts as the mag catch. On the top it acts as the spring for the Ejector & hold-open catch, which is one piece. That is part # 13. The top end of the spring must be slid in and then placed forward of the little knob. You can see the knob in the picture of the part on the bottom left of the part near the grips.

If it is placed in behind that little knob, then the gun will do what it was doing for me. It will not fire, the magazine will not lock open without the mag not in and you cannot get the slide off. A previous owner put that part in wrong.

I hope that helps to explain it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts