Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer has offered me a 1903 Hoffer Thompson. One problem is we don't know what it is worth. The other problem is it is built on a Rock Island action. Were all H-Ts built on a Springfield action and if so is this a parts gun? Bannerman special? or what do we do with these parts? Great shape, nice 1918 dated sling and only one insert. What is a fair price?

·
Registered
718 Posts
One ref. book says Springfield, but although I don't know scat from banana pudding, I've found enough errors in this book that I only look at the pics. As for value, I've seen several on the auction sites. Everybody wants $2500 as an opening bid, haven't seen anybody get it. If the bore hasn't been lost to the black powder ammo, (.22 shorts), and I had play money, I'd start at a Grand and dicker. Like everything else, it depends on how much you want it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd be leary of that one. I've only heard of SA produced Hoffer-Thompsons. Some were marked with .22 on the receiver bridge, front barrel band, and front end of stock but not all were marked. Could be a made up rifle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could someone cite a source for SA being the only true Hoffers. I have seen RIA actions with SA barrels which would lead me to believe the gun was made up at Springfield Armory. I do not know why there would be only Springfield receivers used.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read Canfield's, Brophy's and Ferris' book on the 03 and still do not have an answer. Over half of the ones I have found for sale in the past month have been Rock Island. This rifle has a serial # below the 288K cutoff for poor heat treat. OK they used an action not safe for 30/06 but good for 22 short. The barrel is dated 1907 and has the 1905 rear sight. It is not marked .22 anywhere but only condemed parts were marked (Brophy). Made up gun? Very possible. Could it be the real thing? possible. I think I can get the gun for what a "normal" 03 would sell for so I will very likely go for it. Only one insert so I will need to find more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi
If it helps I was at a large show about a year ago and a guy was walking around with one for sale. The bore was pretty ratty. He was asking $1800 for it, I offered 1500 and he declined. I later saw him walking out with it.
David

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hoffer- Thompson

Funny this subject came up there is one on consignment at a nearby gun shop. Price is I believe around 3K !! I does have five adapter rounds, but a ratty bore due to the black powder rounds. I have a feeling it will be sitting on the rack for a long time. I think "book value" for a Hoffer-Thompson is 3250 for excellent and 700 for poor. This is from the third edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Rifles. I could see someone paying three large for the the one I saw if it had a better bore, but the ratty bore will lower the overall condition rating, and therefore the price someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
Ken, yours is a regular 1903 in 30.06 with the Numrich .22 Conversion installed.That conversion was manufactured in the late 50's in small quantities, so its by itself a sought after item, not only due to its scarcity but also for its precision and quality-Moreover FYI, if you take out the bolt, with a pointed tool
you can turn the chamber a quarter of turn and the .22 barrel will come out-Once you've done that inspect the original barrel and, if its in good condition, get yourself a 30.06 bolt(your bolt is an M2 bolt NOT good for 30.06) , an ejector and a triggerguard with the magazine follower ( all easily obtainable at Numrich/un Parts Corp), and youll end with a rifle both in .22 and in 30.06-I did it and I'm happy-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts