Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,692 Posts
That was a WWI era German Mauser which was marked again following 1920 for paramilitary or police use during the interwar period. Subsequently, the stock was cut down and it was chromed, which was a popular practice following WWII

·
Banned
1,165 Posts
It sports a K98b's rear sight assy, & in this configuration has been called the G98 (M).
The stock appears to have the remains of a 4-digit s/n upon the left side (seen in the last pic), so this lumber is probably not native: "Banana republic", or 1 of the other South American varieties would be my best guess.
For the record, I've never seen a recoil lug w/ that much active rust on it - at least upon a rifle that was dry & still above ground level.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It sports a K98b's rear sight assy, & in this configuration has been called the G98 (M).
The stock appears to have the remains of a 4-digit s/n upon the left side (seen in the last pic), so this lumber is probably not native: "Banana republic", or 1 of the other South American varieties would be my best guess.
For the record, I've never seen a recoil lug w/ that much active rust on it - at least upon a rifle that was dry & still above ground level.
It's renumbered in a Spanish fashion; the late-'50s Interarms "8mm" stamp leads me to believe this was a Spanish Civil War rifle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Too bad the barrel is shortened and it is chromed.

I agree it looks like an early import that was heavily bubba'd. I would not pay more than 100 bucks, personally. All I could really see in it would be a durakote and use it for hunting if it shoots well or take the action and use it to make a nicer sporter.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Need help figuring out what exactly this is. Any and all information offered up will be much appreciated!!!
Thank you,
Cynthia
It's a WW1 German Gew98 that was modified and lost its collector value. This forum is mainly for collectors, so the reaction you got is one of disappointment. Still, it is a high powered rifle, and depending on the bore condition, it is a useful rifle for hunting and other sporting purposes.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Am I the only one that sees a problem with the OP? Both of the OP posts asks for ID/value. They have not once responded to any post on this forum.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Am I the only one that sees a problem with the OP? Both of the OP posts asks for ID/value. They have not once responded to any post on this forum.
In this thread, I don't see any request for value, just ID. We did answer that. The value will depend on the condition of the bore as a shooter, not as a collector's item.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
In this thread, I don't see any request for value, just ID. We did answer that. The value will depend on the condition of the bore as a shooter, not as a collector's item.
Dude this person is here for no other reason but to "tell me what it is and how much can I sell it for" If that's what this forum has turned into so be it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Very rare and interesting rifle. Butchered and mostly worthless unfortunately but very very interesting.

This appears to be a Reichsmarine depot build rifle, likely assembled from spare parts sometime after the end of the war. The receiver has no factory FP and apparently only the receiver hardening acceptance on the right. So it was a spare receiver, probably sent to a Navy depot though I suppose they could have gotten it later.

Better pics of the markings on the receiver, sights, and barrel (including anything under the wood) would really be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I apologize, I am new to this and ignorant of posting etiquette.

I have read and appreciated every comment, however, I ignorantly assumed the only reason for me to reply to a comment would be if I was asked a question.

Also, the post did NOT ask for any information/opinions on the value of the firearm, I was merely seeking knowledge/opinions on identifying it.

Thank you,
Cynthia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude this person is here for no other reason but to "tell me what it is and how much can I sell it for" If that's what this forum has turned into so be it.

I have read and appreciated every comment, however, I ignorantly assumed the only reason for me to reply to a comment would be if I was asked a question.

Also, the post did NOT ask for any information/opinions on the value of the firearm, I was merely seeking knowledge/opinions on identifying it.

Thank you,
Cynthia

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,692 Posts

Thank you,
Cynthia
Your post was fine, and did not infringe on any improper etiquette. There are dozens of posts much like yours every week. Folks come here to get information and opinions on their firearms, and many members will gladly oblige. Please feel welcome to post any more for which you seek information.

And the post by RyanE above is asking for more details. He senses there could be some more interesting features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very rare and interesting rifle. Butchered and mostly worthless unfortunately but very very interesting.

This appears to be a Reichsmarine depot build rifle, likely assembled from spare parts sometime after the end of the war. The receiver has no factory FP and apparently only the receiver hardening acceptance on the right. So it was a spare receiver, probably sent to a Navy depot though I suppose they could have gotten it later.

Better pics of the markings on the receiver, sights, and barrel (including anything under the wood) would really be appreciated.

I am working on posting pics.
Thanks again,
Cynthia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I appreciate your time/effort spent helping.
Thank you, again.
Cynthia
IMG-3217.jpg
IMG-3219.jpg
IMG-3220.jpg
IMG-3222.jpg
IMG-3225.jpg
IMG-3227.jpg
IMG-3230.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts