Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this gun used about a year ago. I've taken it to the range a few times with no problems. When I took it out yesterday, it would fire one shot but wouldn't cycle the next round. The bolt carrier group would not come back after the weapon was fired. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the gas tube or gas system.

Is it possible for a gas tube to wear out or develop a crack somewhere? How should I go about trying to fix this problem.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
I would doubt it's a leak at the gas tube, I've shot mine with a tube that has a 3/8 gap at the bottom milled out and it ran fine. Howver you might want to check the gas port and make sure it's clear, you might have a tool in your cleaning kit for this purpose. I'd also dry cycle and see if there's any hang ups, I owned a MAK90 with a soft carrier that peened out of shape at the keyway and would not turn the bolt to unlock it smooth enough to cycle, it could be something odd like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would doubt it's a leak at the gas tube, I've shot mine with a tube that has a 3/8 gap at the bottom milled out and it ran fine. Howver you might want to check the gas port and make sure it's clear, you might have a tool in your cleaning kit for this purpose.
I already did that and it's fine.

I'd also dry cycle and see if there's any hang ups, I owned a MAK90 with a soft carrier that peened out of shape at the keyway and would not turn the bolt to unlock it smooth enough to cycle, it could be something odd like that.
There doesn't seem to be any hang ups that I can see.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gun came with a buffer on the recoil spring. I'll take it off and try again when I get time to head back to the range.

I also own a SLG-21. Would the bolt carrier group work with my Romanian undefolder?

Maybe I damaged the bolt carrier in some way when I polished it a few months ago. The gas system seems to be fine. If there is any resistance at all when I manually cycle the rifel, it's when the bolt carrier goes over the trigger group. That being said, it doesn't really seem to be that bad or anything out of the norm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take out the buffer and see how it does, what parts did you polish did you mess with the camming surface on the bolt that fits in the carrier?
I didn't polish the bolt at all. I only polished the outside of the bolt carrier. I was careful when I polished not to mess with any of the surfaces that fit together with the bolt and bolt carrier.

Thanks again for you advice. You're always very helpful on these boards.

I'm starting to think it might be and issue with the trigger assembly or recoil spring but I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
only thing i've ever felt the need to put a buffer in is my FAL. check the buffer, make sure it's not deformed. take it out and run a few rounds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did noticed that when I manually cycle the rifle, their is some resistance when the bolt carrier is going over the FCG. This is also the point at which the BCG stops when I fire normally. It doesn't go all the way back, it just goes back to this point.

The FCG is a tapco G2

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
A few quick ideas:

Do you have a kink in one of the receiver rails?

Do you grease (not oil) all metal to metal sliding and camming points? I use grease comma rifle on all of my rifles, bolt and semi.

Do you have something accidentally jammed up inside the carrier's recoil spring guide hole that is putting extra tension on the spring?

This definitely sounds like something a little out of the ordinary.

Keith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.