Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,587 Posts
I don't suppose you measured them? Kinda hard to judge the size, but they look to be at least 105mm(4inch), maybe 5"?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't measure them but should have. I'm sure they are to the howitzer since they were found right in front of the cave but I like to challenge all assumptions and rule out the possibility of those being US projectiles. One has the fuse still attached!

-Eric

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Isn't that a little risky messing with old unexploded ordnance? I don't think I'd be holding onto it for a photo.You've found some really neat stuff and I always check out your posts. I guess there was no cleanup crews on these islands after the battle was over.Keep the great pictures coming.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Looks like a Type 91 10cm long nosed projectile for the T-91 Howitzer. The fuse should be the Type 88 instataneous or short-delay.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Eric, actually it could be either the Type 91 or Type 95 long pointed projectile. I have no photos to compare but will attache drawings from the Japanese ordnance manual. Both are almost identical from the outer appearance but the powder chamber dimensions are slightly different and the T-95 projo has a plugged rear.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric, actually it could be either the Type 91 or Type 95 long pointed projectile. I have no photos to compare but will attache drawings from the Japanese ordnance manual. Both are almost identical from the outer appearance but the powder chamber dimensions are slightly different and the T-95 projo has a plugged rear.
Edokko,

That's it! Thanks for helping me clarify...is that a WWII manual? Does that drawing show a projectile for the 105mm howitzer? I'm just trying to rule-out that those projectiles were duds fired from American guns.

Thanks, Eric

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Eric, yes this is a copy of a WW2 era manual that showed all the dimensions of the various projos in use, 37mm, 50mm, 75mm, 105mm, 150mm, you name it !
There are quite a few projo drawings for the T-91 105mm howitzer, but the pictured two are the only ones with the "spitzer" style pointy projos.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Eric, yes the drawings show that both type rounds are filled with "Chakatsu-yaku" meaning TNT, so HE for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts