Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My dad has had an Enfield in his possession for quit some time now. Between all of the moves from when he was in the service the bolt was lost. Fast forward to last night when I was at my Lt's house after a fire call and we started talking about firearms. I explain to him about my dads enfield and he pulls one out of his gun safe and tells me to take it home and see if the bolt fits in our rifle. Well it does and now I just need help identifying what they are. My dad's rifle says it's a No.4 Mk1 but the bolt for said model didn't fit. My guess is a No.4 Mk2? anyway here are the pictures, my dad's rifle is the one without the bolt in it.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
...and see if the bolt fits in our rifle. Well it does and now I just need help identifying what they are. My dad's rifle says it's a No.4 Mk1 but the bolt for said model didn't fit.
I'm confused. You said it fit, then you said it didn't. Would you mind elaborating a little please?

The bolt should swap in and out of either rifle. That doesn't mean the headspace, or the mating surfaces will automatically match up though.

Oh...both rifles are BSA No4 MkI's

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
The No. 4 Enfields used the same bolt.

Your Dad's rifle appears to be a No. 4 Mk. 1 produced at BSA Shirley. I can't quite make out the date, but it looks to be 1944.

In addition to the bolt, it also appears to be missing the handguards (unless you removed them before taking the photos). And it looks like the rear sight has been removed and replaced with an aftermarket sight peep (though it's tough to tell from the limited photos).

It should look like this:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The No. 4 Enfields used the same bolt.

Your Dad's rifle appears to be a No. 4 Mk. 1 produced at BSA Shirley. I can't quite make out the date, but it looks to be 1944.

In addition to the bolt, it also appears to be missing the handguards (unless you removed them before taking the photos). It should look like this:
The problem is that both have been butchered for hunting purposes. The bolt that we bought when I thought it was a Mk1 did not fit. My Lt's bolt fit perfectly in my dad's rifle(if I'm still making sense). The head space was perfect and it is leading me to believe that they are No4 Mk2. The engraving on my dad's rifle(the one without the bolt in the pics) looks to be done by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Just my thoughts it's hard to explain over the keyboard.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Possibly a too long bolt head??
Bolts interchange between all No4 rifles, but different length heads are used to match up the lengths.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Possibly a too long bolt head??
Bolts interchange between all No4 rifles, but different length heads are used to match up the lengths.
I disagree. Bolts may be swapped easily but that does not mean that they interchange.

Bolts MUST be be individually fitted to the rifle and that involves more than just changing the bolt head. (That only fixes head space - nothing else.)

In my school CCF, as part of safety precautions, we checked each and every rifle before live firing to ensure that it had its correct bolt.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I disagree. Bolts may be swapped easily but that does not mean that they interchange.

Bolts MUST be be individually fitted to the rifle and that involves more than just changing the bolt head. (That only fixes head space - nothing else.)

In my school CCF, as part of safety precautions, we checked each and every rifle before live firing to ensure that it had its correct bolt.
What you say is correct from a technical point of view but on a practical note it is not quite in line with prcatice. I am an x Canadain army armourer and I have worked on countless #4s. The fact is that in North America the Lee Enfields in civilian hands have been taking down game for almost a century and I would hazard a guess and say that more than half do not have matching bolts. Mating the locking lugs to the bearings on the receiver has more to do with accuracy than safety. If this were not true then we would have seen thousands of accidents with the Enfields. Any good armourer worth his salt will check the bearings but not one civilian gunsmith in a hundred would practice this.
To the OP. A Mk1, Mk1* and a Mk2 have the same action as far as the bolt is concerned. The bolts will interchange,

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
In the context of the original post they will interchange. I never said they were workable after the interchange, just that they'd "go in" unlike a head too long to fit the action where the assy. would not "go in".

But you knew that & could not resist a nitpick.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
The problem is that both have been butchered for hunting purposes. The bolt that we bought when I thought it was a Mk1 did not fit. My Lt's bolt fit perfectly in my dad's rifle(if I'm still making sense). The head space was perfect and it is leading me to believe that they are No4 Mk2. The engraving on my dad's rifle(the one without the bolt in the pics) looks to be done by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Just my thoughts it's hard to explain over the keyboard.
I had to go back and slowly read all over again. I think that's what may have happened. You bought a No1 (Not MkI) bolt assembly when you needed a No4 bolt. Easy to get confused if new to Lee Enfields. Numbers are the model or pattern. Marks are subtle changes to the pattern which are minor enough not to warrant a change in number. When people get that mixed up, then we can get mixed up ;)

The one you bought as a replacement...does the bolt head guide (groove) ride the receiver rail inside the action, or pass over the top to ride outside on the rail? Can you post a photo of your "wrong" bolt? That would make things much easier to get you going.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
I had to go back and slowly read all over again. I think that's what may have happened. You bought a No1 (Not MkI) bolt assembly when you needed a No4 bolt. Easy to get confused if new to Lee Enfields. Numbers are the model or pattern. Marks are subtle changes to the pattern which are minor enough not to warrant a change in number. When people get that mixed up, then we can get mixed up ;)

The one you bought as a replacement...does the bolt head guide (groove) ride the receiver rail inside the action, or pass over the top to ride outside on the rail? Can you post a photo of your "wrong" bolt? That would make things much easier to get you going.
That makes perfect sense. Mk1 bolt in a No4 rifle (or not):cross

1 - 19 of 19 Posts