Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching online for months now, and I can't find anything like it. Some older Japanese rifles are similar, but not right on. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, as I want to restore this rifle and use it for deer hunting = )

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
A P-14 (303 British cal) or P-17 (30-06 Cal.) Enfield seriously chopped and sporterized. Very little to no collectors value remains.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Assuming the bore is in clean condition and you determine what caliber it is (303 or 30-06), you have the bases for a decent low-cost hunting rifle. That is a solid, reliable action. Somewhere on it you will see some markings that will give a lot of clues as to which version it is; Winchester, Remington, Eddystone, or perhaps Savage. Obviously collectors are no longer interested as it's been quite modified. Unless you have no-shit documentation that it was Winston Churchill's personal rifle or assigned to Sgt York, the best thing you could do with the rifle is take good care of it and utilize it as a proper hunting rifle.

Buying such rifles in the $200-$300 range is no problem.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Bean's got it about right. I saw one of these today for $70 flat because it was so bad off. It's a crying shame what these bubbas will do to them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would just clean it really really well, take it to a gunsmith for a safety inspection. While there maybe have them do a chamber casting to be 100% sure of the rounds it will take.
After this, get some ammo that is reccomended by the gunsmith, take it to a range and see if its going to fire straight at a target.

After all this make a budget for your project and go from there.
Hit up some gun shows or ebay to find whichever type stock you would like on it.

Anything you do from this point will only make that rifle better, Do what you can afford and make it your own. dont listen to everyone else about it being a parts rifle. just because its not a bill gates bank acct breaker doesnt mean its a pile. If it is safe and shoots straight, then you have dinner during next season. invest only what you can afford.

Cleaning up the rifle and mounting it on a nicer stock wouldnt hurt. heres mine.

PS: posting the same question in ten areas of a single website is looked down upon in a big way.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,408 Posts
Bean's got it about right. I saw one of these today for $70 flat because it was so bad off. It's a crying shame what these bubbas will do to them.
I don't think is a case of "what these bubbas will do to them".

It's more a case of what was done after WWII by many gunsmiths and shooters to make what was then a very common and heavy ex-military rifle into a lighter and handier hunting rifle.

We cant judge their actions many years ago based upon our standards today.

Just use it for what it is good for. Shoot it like crazy. I'm sure it has many more hunts ahead of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts