Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this item about 25 years ago along with an inert Japanese grenade. I assume they are related. It is empty ans one end unscrews to reveal an empty tube. It is about the size of a chapstick or roll of breath mints. Someone told me the writing says “danger- do not touch!” I’ve gone through every book on Japanese militaria and weapons to no avail. Gun show people with extensive Japanese knowledge also no avail. Anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, next question. Is this some sort of mortar fired cluster bomb? What was its purpose? I think I saw something saying it was an anti aircraft weapon. What was the purpose of the submunitions? Thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Orion, good item. If you part with it please keep me in mind!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
From the diagram in Orion's post, it appears that the submunitions are ejected from the cannister when the main parachute deploys.
They would then fall to earth being slowed and separated by their own mini parachutes.
What is unclear to me is how they would be armed and detonated.
Is that information in the script that describes each stage?
We're they fused by a time delay burning fuse or what?

Might be a useful type of ammo to have if facing a "human wave" type of assault.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It was intended to be fired in the path of low flying aircraft. Designers would know the flight time from firing that would produce the correct estimated altitude. All you need is a timed powder train. Like 4th of July mortar shells.

Don

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Thank You
Must have taken some stones, though, to continue to man these mortars in the path of "low flying aircraft".
It was my general experience that "low flying aircraft" typically did not have the best of intentions for those on the ground!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
"especially useful against low-flying airplanes." I'd like to see some citations on that. I would think the aiming and timing would be difficult, to put it mildly.

Reactions: orion762
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.