Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to all experts at GUNBOARDS.com
my question is concerning an italien M38 Carbine - as far as i know all M38 Carcanos have a bent bold - i am suggesting that this bold isn't the correct one and may have been mixed up with an M91 Rifle bold. Butt is stamped DAV - manufactured by Beretta, 6,5x52 cal., serials all matching - VALUE?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Carbines usually have the bent bolt; but since they are interchangable sometimes they are swapped.

US value $150 to $200.

·
Administrator
9,612 Posts
Firstly, It is NOT a Carbine...it is a Fucile Corto M38 (or more corecttly M91/38, as it is in 6,5mm)...in Layman's terms, a "Short Rifle".

As to the straight bolt, even though the M38 series were designed and left the factory with a turned-down Bolt handle, during Service and afterwards( Surplussing) they sometimes acquired a straight handled bolt, just because it fitted...it could even be "after-market" as well.

Find a Beretta-marked bolt, and the Short Rifle will be more "true to form"...Note that all the Italian factories also used "contractor-made" Bolts and other Parts as well.
so even a "Rocca" or other marked bolt would be appropriate.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV ballistics.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
In America, a rifle of those dimensions can be called a "Carbine" because of the length. It may not be called that in Italy nor in Australia, but that does not mean an American cannot use language that is familiar to them in identifying a rifle. I know for a fact that Europeans and our brothers in Australia use different descriptors, they are more familiar with, for American and other foreign rifles. I prefer "Carbine" as an appropriate American descriptor for this particular rifle, but I also use the Italian descriptor when " I choose to". ...and I disagree with your pronouncement that they were fitted with straight bolts during service. ;)
Carbine/short rifle, Fucile Corto and semantics... Arditi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts