Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have recently acquired a Winchester '94 chambered in 32-40 that I am having trouble determining the originality of. The octagon barrel is 22" Long and the magazine tube is roughly 14" in length. I cannot find ant info about this rifle having a barrel and mag tube of this length. Can anyone help out with this? Also, does anyone have an idea of the value? I am also attaching pix. Thanks in advance for your help,
Mike

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,339 Posts
1. The Madis S/N list suggests 1902 date;

2. Condition not that great, but far from junk;

3. Rifle-type butt-stock and fore-end, but an 1894 rifle would have had a 24 or 26" barrel and a full-length magazine. That one looks like a 3/4-length magazine tube as found on the Model 64, which this gun is not.

4. Winchester would do custom orders back then, and a factory letter would reveal if this gun was one, or if it left the factory in standard configuration, possibly a gun-smith customized item.

5. No estimate as to value until whether it is a factory custom-order or a post-purchase alteration is established.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Two suggestions. First is the book: "Winchester Model 94" 2nd Ed. By Robert Renneberg. (Purchase or Inter-library loan.) The best definitive work on the Model 94. Second, if Mike Webb or one of the other local experts isn't along shortly, take the questions and pix to winchestercollector.org (where the above author also participates). Congrats on the rifle!
My quick take.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice old 94 but quite sure it has been chopped. The muzzle looks all wrong for factory. If the magazine was a proper 2/3 magazine the cap would be rounded and possess a small protrusion on top that rotates into a small slot on the bottom of the barrel. In my experience if one part of a gun is altered it is likely that other parts are not factory either. It is in the right serial number range for a letter from the BBHS, less than 353,999. My guess is it would come back showing it left the factory with a 26 inch barrel and full magazine. A lot of the old 26 inch rifles were bobbed to make them easier to carry in the woods, I own one, a .32/40 also which was cut to 21 inches. it is still a great gun for hunting and shooting, the .32/40 is great fun to shoot and a VERY accurate round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.