Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I just got this in a trade with a Type 99 rifle which I will post pic's later. The scabbard seems to be wood with a leather tip. All four sides had these markings. Can someone please tell me what they say and tell me about the Bayonet? For insurance what is the value? Thank you for the help. Ed

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the serial number on the rifle. I am pretty sure it is a no series Nagoya. The rifle is in very nice shape and all matching. No monopod or dust cover. I will post more pic's later. My question is what year was it produced? Thanks. Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
That's a really weird last ditch scabbard. I've owned a few, and seen others, but yours is the 1st I've seen with a leather tip on it. Does it have a metal tip underneath the leather ?

The scabbard looks "bigger" and wider. The kanji also looks strange, it looks like it was finely applied with black felt tip marker. And some of the Kanji symbols don't even look Japanese.

I hope I'm all wrong, but scabbard itself makes me a little worried.

The bayonet is an early pattern Type 30 bayonet made by Tokyo or Kokura arsenal that would have been issued with a steel ball tipped scabbard. Wood scabbards were used with straight guard late war 1944-45 issued Type 30 bayonets. Mixing of old equipment and new (late war) equipment is not uncommon, but case in point, neither the bayonet or the scabbard were put together at the factory.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the come back. Does not feel like metal underneath the leather(pig skin). Took a closer look at the scabbard. Appears to be three long parallel layers of wood held together with some type of banding.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Collectors tend to go with their gut instincts, and as mentioned, I hope I am completely wrong, but I sort of think maybe the scabbard was made by somebody much later ( 1990's/00's) just to complete the whole package ??

But again, there oddities in Japanese military artifacts especially in late war produced items. So maybe my gut instincts are completely wrong about the scabbard.

There are some big Japanese bayonet collectors on here who will no doubt chime in on it with their opinions.

The rope or hemp banding is typical on the late war wooden scabbard and typically there are 2 rope bands in the middle section. Sometimes the scabbards were left natural wood color and some times they were painted OD green or a khaki mustard color. This also had to do with which arsenal produced the bayonets. Toyada Loom Works is noted for issuing OD painted wood scabbards while JINSEN (Korean arsenal ) issued natural wood scabbards of a dark reddish brown color.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, thank you Sir. I do value your input. Lets see what others have to say. I traded basically for the rifle. The bayonet and scabbard were icing on the cake.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
I also have a bad feeling about that scabbard. A closer look at the frog might help. The bayonet itself is fine.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I also have a bad feeling about that scabbard. A closer look at the frog might help. The bayonet itself is fine.

Notice how the scabbard is made of ( 4 ) pieces of wood.........instead of ( 2 ) slabs of wood normally found on a late war scabbard.

I think its homemade by somebody who couldn't find, or didn't want to buy an original one.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sorry, but wow that's bad!!! Totally home made frog and scabbard. And by home made I mean a round eyes home stateside. Do an image search for katakana, you'll see a bunch of katakana charts then compare each character.

Katakana is phonetic so you should be able to figure out what it "says".

The bayonet appears to be a dirt common early Tokyo example. Jon

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well gents thanks for the input. I would have thought the frog was real because the leather is old and the metal buckle is rusted. I looked at some images on the internet and I did find one that had the same stitch pattern and no rivets. Said it was real. Oh well it is what it is. Now some more questions.

1- What is the witting on the scabbard?

2- What year was my rifle produced?

3- I also have a series 4 Nagoya. Any differences?

4- Year of production for the series 4 serial number 56077?

Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would have thought the frog was real because the leather is old and the metal buckle is rusted. I looked at some images on the internet and I did find one that had the same stitch pattern and no rivets.
Rust and old appearing leather are not an indication of age! The red flags are the crudely cut leather, the buckle is an odd type, and the stitching. Man is it bad, notice the irregular haphazard hand switches?

But the best part.....it's nylon thread! C'mon! It's been tied off, snipped then the loose ends were melted flush. Seriously???? Jon

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
More pics of the rifles would be required but Nagoya started producing the Type 99 short rifle in 1941 so a no series would be 1941, making no assumptions the rest of the rifle is correct. A 4th series Nagoya would be in sometime in 1943. To my knowledge there would not have been any changes between the no series and the 4th series.
I would also recommend picking up 'The Japanese Type 99 Rifle' by Don Voigt if you would like more complete information on the rifles in question.

John O.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
I showed this to Okiedokie and he says the writing is typical "souvenir" gibberish. Between him and Monkeyboy's opinion I have to agree with them that this is probably a fabrication by a GI. And that frog is pretty sad!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
The frog and scabbard were made in the US. What does it matter who made them?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.