Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm looking at purchasing a very nice looking Luger pistol. It is dated 1942, all matching but seems to nice to be true. There is a very small import mark "ZDF SLC, UT" on the barrel. I have done some research and learned that it was imported by Robinson Arms out of SLC, UT. I sent them an email asking the history but have not yet heard back. I know that there are collectors out there that know something about these pistols. I am looking for as much info and history on these pistols as I can, including value. This is the first Luger purchase I would be making. All markings appear to be intact, all matching (no markings on magazine), excellent bluing with lots of detail and several parts have a gold tone finish to them (trigger etc). Thank in advance!

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
For $300.00, RUN, don't walk, to that pawn shop and get it. Either that, or tell me where that pawn shop is, and give me their phone number.
I will put it right next to my $400 C96 Mauser I got last fall.

If you can talk them down a bit more, you will REALLY have a story to tell.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
What do you hope to learn from the importer? I'm sure all they will say it was a pistol imported from Blagh Blagh Land and there were x thousand in the lot. What value is that information? It is just a Luger which was imported, like the many other which were.

It sounds like it is in nice condition and the price is a steal. Go for it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm mostly concerned that the pistol is some type of Russian refurb, or a parts gun, something fishy - anything. But the most I do research it looks like a gun that was sold at a silly price by a desperate person and the pawn shop just wants to flip it for a quick buck. To answer Mike Radford - the grips are finely checkered wood that never looked held. I was pretty sure it was worth the $300 but I just didn't know nor did I want to get burned on a pistol that may have been known to be an imported crappy lot of guns. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
But the most I do research it looks like a gun that was sold at a silly price by a desperate person and the pawn shop just wants to flip it for a quick buck.
I would be very cautious as it could be stolen property and sold way under market price just to get rid of it. Make sure you do a bunch of checking before you end up with it and are charged with receipt of stolen property.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,486 Posts
Bought from a shop, keep the paerwork and concerns about being in toruble over it beoing stolen are pretty well gone. Might lose the purchase price, but ought to be able to recover that from the pawn shop.

$300 for a complete P-08 is insanely low these days.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still no pistol! The shop owner saw a P-08 on the internet selling for thousands and assumed his was the same. I think now he has time to check it out and found out that his in not a museum piece worth thousands. We're talking price and trades now, so hopefully soon I can close this deal because Ive got a bad taste ever since the shop owner wouldn't just sell me the stupid thing at the already agreed price.

As for the worries about it being stolen - since it is from a pawn shop it is almost a 100% guarantee that it is not stolen. I work in law enforcement and have to deal with pawn/gun shops all the time. In New Mexico, pawn shops have to keep items 30 days and log them all into a police searchable database and NCIC. Guns especially get checked so if they are put out to sell 30 days after the pawn shop acquires them then they are not stolen OR not reported stolen. Gun shops do NOT operate under the same conditions here. Gun shops do not have to hold or run a search to determine if the gun is stolen. They are simply logged into the book and then resold. Pawn shops get a bad rap but in this case they are safer to obtain guns with a much better chance of being legit and I have gotten some sweet deals from the pawn shops because sometimes they are in invested $50-100 in a highly collectible gun that the original owner and the pawn shop has no idea of its true value.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.