Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 1917 the other day. Today I tried the decocking trick of holding the trigger down while closing the bolt. After I did that, the trigger is now loose after firing. Basically, with gravity the trigger is free to move all the way forward to the front of the trigger guard, this is shown in the first picture. Doesn't do this when cocked, and doesn't do this when the bolt is removed, as shown in the second picture. On other forums, I've been told this is fine and normal on Enfields and cock on close bolt guns, but I've also been told a spring may have come loose in the trigger group or something snapped. Safety still works, the gun is still able to dry fire, bolt can't be lifted when safety is on, so all of that is still fine. I don't know if I'm just overthinking and worrying since I just got it, but I've never had a gun with a loose trigger that moves with gravity when the gun is tilted forward. Other forums have said, "just cock it" yes haha good one, but I had dry-fired it a couple of times before doing the decocking trick and I could've sown the trigger wasn't moving freely with gravity to the front of the trigger guard after firing as it does now. Any expertise is appreciated. Thank you

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Wood Bumper

Trigger Wood Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel

· Registered
5,492 Posts
I presume you mean a model P17 (M1917) rifle although known as "The American Enfield" it is not a 1917 Enfield.

The P17 is a 'Mauser' based rifle & is not really considered to be a Lee Enfield. The action / body is quite different in use to that of the 'Lee' Action (Lee designed the action and Enfield produced the barrel - hence Lee Enfield)

You may have replies on other forums and they misunderstood your question to be related to a 1917 (year) Lee Enfield.

A little bit of background :

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Shotgun Parallel

· Registered
3,380 Posts
If the trigger is "loose" then someone may have shortened the sear spring to reduce trigger pull,or maybe its broken ,,,this is a small coil spring in a pocket .........the double pull may also have been ground out ...........anyway ,M17 parts are still plentiful ,so fixing it wont be difficult or costly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts