Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited my grandfathers firearm collection and am trying to find out any information of this Hi-power. It has all of the FN and Belgian military contract proofs, but also has German WaA140 markings as well. Tangent sight and back-strap slotted. The grips are not original, but were made from downed aircraft windscreen, at least that is what I was told. Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to some pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/115910499041370411170/WW2BrowningHiPower?authuser=0&feat=directlink

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pre-war Belgium military captured by the Germans. The tangent rear sight and stock slot are desirable. It is very well worn, and the custom grips detract from extreme collectors, but give it a "been there, done that" feel. Since it has been in your family for a while I hope you keep it and take care of it. regards.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Eagle01
If you wish to sell the gun or for other reasons you can buy a pair of used walnut hi-power grips at a gun show. Take all the finish off with paint remover both sides and age them a bit.
Can not tell from the pictire but the WaA on the back of the mag looks like WaA 613. If it is 613 or 103 and not 140 then mag alone has an asking price over $250.
Similar gun in slightly better condition was being offered at the Big Town Gun Show Saturday for $1200.
Do you need more? D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the insight.

The mag does say 613. Is there any reason that the WaA marking wouldn't be the same on the gun and the mag other than that the mags were interchangeable? Also, I understand that this is a pre-war gun, but is there anyway to narrow down a date of manufacture? I know that the FN factory was taken over in May 1940. That leads me to believe that it was made in early 1940 and wasn't able to be shipped to the Belgian military before the German invasion and occupation.

I don't plan on selling it due to the family history it holds. I am just looking to gain as much history about it that I can and a ballpark value for insurance purposes. I did take it to a shop for appraisal and they placed a value of $475 with 40% condition. I don't know much when it comes to firearm value, but the history that this gun holds is much more valuable to me than dollars.

Thank you again for your insight and I hope others will chime in with any other knowledge they have.

Alan

·
Registered
983 Posts
Great looking gun. I am looking for one for my collection and could only wish I found one with a history like this.

I probably would never go back to that shop. As mentioned alone the magazine alone is worth almost that.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
I agree, The shop was way under on value. The Nazi captured early guns with slot and tanget have always been very expensive and hard to find. Charlie will know more but production of this variation was in the 2-4000 range. Most will not have a 140 proof, which is very interesting.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Well, you all may laugh and be extremely sceptic but there were "booby trapped" HP's. In this sense, a lot of those FN HP's, made under German rule, were (on purpose) made with a smaller ejection port. Just to induce a shell being trapped between the slide and the chamber, a 'stove pipe' so to speak. I've encountered a couple and didn't believe it, until friends and myself measured the dimensions of the ejection port (yes, in the 60ties). The induced imperfections were known to the German occupying army and the punishment was extremely severe. A 'mismastered' HP, of that time, would (for me now) be an extremely prized possession. There also were a lot of them 'liberated' in spare parts ... no proof stamps, no SN, nothing! It's impropobable you will encounter such a 'virgin' HP. If ever you do (tons of small arms were directed/taken by soldiers to their Heimat) please make your homework to get an idea about rareness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again for all of your contributions. I have tried to do some research online, but I always run into the road block that record keeping just wasn't all that great or was lost during the war. I have yet to find any mention of this variation to reference. It just makes each piece of information more interesting and hopefully continues to make the picture clearer. The search continues.

Now that I know that the shop that I went to has under valued this gun. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about getting the rest of my collection valued? I don't think there is any thing else that is as unique as this. I have some pictures of the rest of the collection if anyone is able and willing to help or able to direct me to those may be able to help. There are shotguns (2), rifles (2), revolvers (4) and another very small pistol.

Alan

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,673 Posts
Thank you again for all of your contributions. I have tried to do some research online, but I always run into the road block that record keeping just wasn't all that great or was lost during the war. I have yet to find any mention of this variation to reference. It just makes each piece of information more interesting and hopefully continues to make the picture clearer. The search continues.

Now that I know that the shop that I went to has under valued this gun. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about getting the rest of my collection valued? I don't think there is any thing else that is as unique as this. I have some pictures of the rest of the collection if anyone is able and willing to help or able to direct me to those may be able to help. There are shotguns (2), rifles (2), revolvers (4) and another very small pistol.

Alan
Good pictures are pretty much a must if you are looking on line for values.

This site will have folks who can help with ID and often a value range for many things.

There are a lot of PRINTED sources that can be of help, though you can easily spend several hundred dollars that way. There is a book on the High Power that I don't have - and the title and author are absolutely refusing to surface in my mind - may be Blake Stevens' THE BROWNING HIGH POWER AUTOMATIC PISTOL. Amazon has it for right at $70 copy.

Those grips do look like soldier grips from Plexiglas (or Perspex if you are a Brit..) salvaged from downed or damaged aircraft. Have seen a lot of those over the years, often with photos under them. Yours look a bit unusual from the bit i can see.

PS - the shop is either ignorant or trying to get you to let the gun go cheap. Understanding that they can't pay retail for it and still make profit on sale.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol
by R. Blake Stevens
Collector Grade Publications, Toronto Canada
P.O. Box 250 Station E
Toronto M6H 4E2 Canada
Don't know if it's still available. I have the 1990 edition
It IS NOT CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!
You might check to see if they have a website

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,962 Posts
The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol
by R. Blake Stevens
Collector Grade Publications, Toronto Canada
P.O. Box 250 Station E
Toronto M6H 4E2 Canada
Don't know if it's still available. I have the 1990 edition
It IS NOT CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!
You might check to see if they have a website

At NGD last week, I saw a "2014" edition for $65.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,962 Posts
I have not looked at it except in passing. I received an email from the OP before I left for NGD. With working, getting ready for NGD, doing NGD, then a daughter and family visiting from Texas and leaving this morning for Ft. Knox I have not had the spare time to do much with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you both for the insight.

The mag does say 613. Is there any reason that the WaA marking wouldn't be the same on the gun and the mag other than that the mags were interchangeable? Also, I understand that this is a pre-war gun, but is there anyway to narrow down a date of manufacture? I know that the FN factory was taken over in May 1940. That leads me to believe that it was made in early 1940 and wasn't able to be shipped to the Belgian military before the German invasion and occupation.

I don't plan on selling it due to the family history it holds. I am just looking to gain as much history about it that I can and a ballpark value for insurance purposes. I did take it to a shop for appraisal and they placed a value of $475 with 40% condition. I don't know much when it comes to firearm value, but the history that this gun holds is much more valuable to me than dollars.

Thank you again for your insight and I hope others will chime in with any other knowledge they have.

Alan
Hello 11eagle01,

I just posted a thread yesterday which might help you determine information about your pre-war or WWII pistol e.g. what year your gun was made, WaA140 & WaA613 markings, etc.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...tal-amp-German-Military-Waffenamt-Proof-Marks.

Regards...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.