Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my dear friend I need a help from the danish M1889 an Krags experts. Do you know if exist documents about the fact that the Royal Danish Arsenal of Copenaghen changed various names:

Geværfabrikken Kjøbenhavn

Hærens Tøjhuset (HT with crown)

Hærens Rustkammer (HR with crown)

Hærens Vaabenarsenal

As you understand I need a scan of a page or pages that expane that for the italian proof house of Gardone Val Trompia. The text can be in danish no problems.

best regards

·
2,332 Posts
Page 265 and 292, in H.N Hvidt's book about the Danish Krag, states that all Danish Krags were manufactured at the Danish Army's Armoury (Haerens Gevaerfabrik) located at the island of Amager, just across Copenhagen, established in 1866, and a new and modern arms factory was build again in 1888-89, for the building of the Danish Krag. Except for few of the first rifle actions and knife bayonets, which were made outside Denmark, all the subsequent Danish Krags and accessories, are all made at this new factory.

Perhaps due to Danish Government and Danish Military bureaucracy, the name of this arms factory changed five times over the 54 years of the service life of the Danish Krag, name changes, which are encountered on the Danish Krag rifles:

Gevaerfabrikken Kjoebenhavn....................................1889-1910

Haerens Toejhus.......................................................1910-1923

Haerens Rustkammer.................................................1923-1932

Haerens Vaabenarsenal...............................................1932-1943

No name brand...........................................................1943-1945

I have been unable to find the reasons behind these frequent name changes, which appears purely for bureaucratic reasons ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou snow for the news and infos. One day I'll need to find the H. N. Hvidt book about danish Krag :) I still have the pages of it translated by you but I think that the original book has some more news :)

regards

·
2,332 Posts
Originally, the Danish Krag was only intended for the Danish Army's Infantry, and the carbine version for the other Danish Army and military units, was only started in 1912.

Early on, there were objective, Danish military criticism of the Danish Krag's lack of ability ability to use stripper clips, which were the shrouded in other more positive criticism, calling the Danish Krag "the best rifle ever made". A five round speedloader was indeed made, but never issued. A rail at the magazine, which could facilitate stipper clips, was never implemented, because it was considered to awkward to use.

Eventually, as the numbers of the Danish Krag grew and issued to units, the Danes learned to live with the Danish Krags shortcomings. In 1938, there was a debate of removing the magazine cut off, that went nowhere. The new and more powerful 1908 cartridge with a lighter spitzer bullet, improved the ballistics, and from 1910, all the Danish Krag also had a new "B" chamber, in order to facilitate this new cartridge, in which some minor changes also were made in the magazine. A side tang safety was also introduced from 1908, and new Danish Krag, numbered from 66.000 came out with these new modifications, whereas older rifles, as they were rotated through the armoury, also would be provided with this new tang safety, invented by a British national, C.C.G. Barry, who was working as an armourer for the Danish Military.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.