Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago at the end of this month, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Although I can see well enough to drive and carry on life without glasses (except for reading)....I can't drive at night. The halos just won't stop. Being only 51, this has put a crimp into my life....the eye surgeon doesn't seem to think this is a big deal, although I have brought the subject up the last several visits. I find it intolerable but can deal with it a little longer if it will eventually go away. I have a CDL I presently use for income but all paid driving is daytime, for now. Anybody have any insight they can offer me? TIA

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Give It Time!

I had cataract lens removal in my early 30's in both eyes anterior and posterior aqueous & vitreous...(too much 13gig next to my head I guess!) Docs just cleaned everything out! Only structure left intact was the Iris. I do NOT have lens implants and have halos anyway and star burst light refractions off headlights at night. It has diminished significantly over the years. But it is caused in my case by the clear part of the Cornea and no lens implant would help it. Ask your Doc if your Cornea may be the problem. I also had extreme sensitivity to sunlight, still do but it too has diminished greatly. Good luck! Better to see poorly than not at all, more surgery always has it's risks!

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,189 Posts
If it bothers you, it IS a Big Deal. Anyone who tells you otherwise may have something to hide.

Apparently all eyeball carvers aren't alike. My Dad (just turned 80) did considerable research before selecting a Dr. He had his right eye done about 7 years ago, and his left 2 years ago. He was concerned about not only night vision for driving, but depth of field changes relative to target pistol shooting. He said that he can't even tell anything was ever done, except for crystal clear vision, and a slight reduction in his already not-much glasses prescription.

Get a second opinion from someone else before going back to have your chop shop guy blow you off again.

·
Super Moderator
16,497 Posts
My dad recently had his eyes done and his doctor told him to wear his reading glasses while driving, especially if driving at night.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the first hand accounts, that's what I needed to hear. I figured a year was long enough for any improvements to show. I'll schedule another exam elsewhere and see what's up. I had worn glasses from 6 yrs old to 50 so I am thrilled with what improvements I've received. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts