Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1964 Winchester Model 94 (just over the 2.7 mark) in a pawn shop (paid $200.) and the blue is beautiful. And I do mean perfect. The wood on the other hand looks like a clear coat is peeling off (best way to describe it). I always do stupid stuff that I kick myself for later, so what should I do? I don't want to be a "Bubba". Steel wool, Sand and refinish or leave it like it is? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you're hoping to resell it later for a profit you might wanna leave be. If you're more interested in putting rounds downrange fix her up to suit yourself and blast away!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'd have to agree with the previous replies. And I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the finish on your stock, mine looks just like that and I have been fighting the urge to 'fix' it. If you feel you have to refinish the wood, use a solvent or chem stripper to get the old finish off, keep the sand paper away. When I was collecting K98's, I saw too many that people had tried to refinish the stocks on and had sanded off markings and even changed the contours of the wood trying to make them look like new.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I buy and collect antique firearms and have for years and can state that the fastest way to lose a sale and intrest to a potentional buyer is to alter it by either rebluing and even worse by sanding the stock. Sanding is the GREATEST sin I know of next to drilling extra holes in the gun. It is easy to detect a sanded stock. The flaking you are describing is common on many guns as many stock finishes were spray on lacquer instead of hand rubbed oil. Also Winchester used a special stain that will be sanded off. Also when you sand a stock it no longer will be "proud" to the reciever. If you must ruin this firearm do it correctly by chemically removed the old finish, never using sandpaper, and restain with Winchester stock stain appropriate to the year of manufacture and use a spray laquer for finish. While this will reduce value it isnt as severe as sanding. Just my 2 coppers worth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, I have decided to just leave it the way it is, and know that I am doing the best thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.