Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a Type I awhile back on one of the auction sites. I could tell from the pics that it needed some work to restore it, but I figured I could handle it, but I was wrong. I finally tried to do some work on it tonight. A previous owner either shellac'd or varnished the entire rifle, without removing the metal from the stock. There is hard varnish-like stuff all over the barrel, receiver, and some on the bolt. I tried to used mineral spirits to remove the varnish-like stuff...only a little came off. A previous owner also decided to punch (yes, with metal punch letters) his name into the stock on both sides. And to top it all off, I finally took the metal out of the wood tonight, and the wood is really dry and brittle, with some minor stock damage near the floorplate.

Here's my quandry...do I continue to try to get it fixed? Do I leave it as is and try to get my money back for it by selling it? Or should I part it out and try to make my money back (I hate this option...ruining a perfectly good working rifle)? It would cost more than what I paid for it to get it fixed by professionals (reblueing, restoring and refinishing the stock).

Please give me some advice as to what I should do? Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Czechmate, Having your rifle restored by professionals is most likely out of the question as
it will not be cost effective for your ww2 rifle,and you will never recoup all you have spent
on it,and on top of that once you have it "restored", it is no longer Original,as issued.So
thats out! Here is what I would do if it were me.
#1.Remove the rifle from the stock,PLUG BOTH ENDS OF THE BORE WITH TIGHTLY ROLLED-UP PAPER,TO PREVENT INTRUSION OF VARNISH RESIDUE.Using Varnish remover or brush
cleaner and rubber gloves,with a rag dipped or moistened with the remover wipe down all the acessible metal parts(it will not take off the blueing,if its original).It may take some work,but it will come off.Of course,all these metal parts will have to be re-oiled when you
are finished,but it will be worth it.PLEASE DON`T SMOKE WHILE USING ANY REMOVERS!!
#2.The stamping on the stock is a killer.If it was stamped before varnishing by BUBBA,
then theres not much you can do.If it was stamped by BUBBA after he varnished it,you may be able to raise the lettering by soaking the area with a wet rag for a couple of minutes,then applying a moist rag over the area and using a hot clothes iron,carefully
bring the iron down a few times to see if the wood is in fact raising or swelling.These stocks
are usually fairly soft wood,not like maple,and sometimes this "steaming" gets rid of small dings.Your Type 1 stock was made in ITALY,and is not finished in the traditional Urishi
finish that was used by the Japanese,so you might be able to remove the finish BUBBA applied,although it would take you a while,since you cant sand it or soak it,but do a little at
a time using the removers mentioned,outdoors if possible.Who cares if it takes you a week
to strip the stock,just don`t soak it till you take the color out.After you`re finished, and you put the rifle back together,you`ll still have an original rifle,especially if you don`t
sand the stock.You can also wax the stock if you want when you`re finished.that`s
my take on your project.Good Luck!
Charlie

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Czech. Although tricky to use, Easy-Off or similar oven cleaner will not only remove the finish on the wood, it might even raise the stamping on the stock. I found this out the hard way. Stripped an SKS stock once, but raised the stock serial number, ABOVE the surface! Had to re-stamp it. It will also raise the wood grain, so some sanding will be needed. Use outside, with gloves. Try not to spray any on the inletted areas, and go light in the fullers (finger grooves). You can spray large areas heavy, and spread with a disposable brush. When finish starts to come off, wipe excess, and spray off with a water hose. Like I said, wood will be a little fuzzy when dry. DO NOT USE ON THE METAL!!! Just a thought.:)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I wouldn't waste any time on it, just move it on; unless you enjoy the challenge.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a T-99 that was compleatly covered with some hard glossy stuff. Polyurethane maybe ? Kinda looked like the stuff Remington used on those shiney shotgun stocks in the 60s.

No stripper seemed to cut it. I used a propane torch on the metal. The stuff softened and I knocked it off with steel wool and a bronse brush from an auto parts store. Didn't take much heat to do the trick. Easy Off didn't work on the stuff on the stock and I didn't want to leave it too long. I just knocked the shine off with steel wool and quit at that.

Jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
I had a T-99 that was compleatly covered with some hard glossy stuff. Polyurethane maybe ? Kinda looked like the stuff Remington used on those shiney shotgun stocks in the 60s.

No stripper seemed to cut it. I used a propane torch on the metal. The stuff softened and I knocked it off with steel wool and a bronse brush from an auto parts store. Didn't take much heat to do the trick. Easy Off didn't work on the stuff on the stock and I didn't want to leave it too long. I just knocked the shine off with steel wool and quit at that.

Jim
Jim. Nothing that I have heard of will remove that old Remington finish. It just gums-up sand paper. Most people I talked to, ended up using a piece of glass, or other very sharp scraping aperatus. M.P.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm still thinking about what I want to do. Now I'm leaning towards putting it back together and putting it up either on the trader or on one of the auction sites. Maybe someone else might like the project to restore it or keep it as is. The only reason I'd part it out is because I know someone needs pretty much a complete bolt. I'll think about it a few more days and then make my decision.

FYI, Bubba stamped his name in the stock after varnishing it...there may be hope yet...maybe easy-off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.