Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for putting all this wonderful information in one place.. I have searched around and didn't really find an answer to my current problem..I have several Makarovs and have been a fan for many years..I carry two guns primarily a Bulgarian "Circle 10" Military and a Izmech .380... I took out the .380 last week to shoot a few rounds and it has rusted.. I have had this pistol for many years and I have noticed it needing more care and cleaning/oiling than my other Makarovs...but I have been on holiday for last two months and had it in it's holster in my messenger bag the entire time....this is what I carry it in..

and when I pulled it out this is what I found..

so my question is how do I fix it? what would you guys recommend to clean and remove the rust? I love this gun and would hate to have it reblued and lose the markings?
Any info/tips would be appreciated...

Thank you

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Gently polish the rust off the gun with an ultra fine grit something doing as little damage to the finish as you can. I use a rag and diamond dust but whatever works... some say steel wool but if you use that, clean the gun very carefully to remove steel wool dust which starts rust again. Bronze wool etc is ok. Once that is done you can use a variety of products like blue touch up or you can get the whole gun refinished (probably $150 or so).

Be sure to fully disassemble the gun and check it inside and out for rust as well. Esp the barrel may be damaged and where that rust is, the crown possibly may need to be re-cut by a gunsmith if it is pitted there.

Once restored, wipe the gun down with a light oil on a soft cloth, like the spray rem-oil, once in a while so it does not happen again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your holster was either wet or damp when you stored it. Bad idea to
store your guns in holsters. Rust doesn't look that bad. I'd use oil
and 0000 steel wool. You'll be surprised how it cleans up. I don't
think the barrel would be hurt as it's chrome lined. Let us know how
it turns out.
Denny

·
Super Moderator
6,169 Posts
Welcome kymoonshine.

It's reported that the finish on some of those IJ-70s was thin. Now you have a pistol with character.

There are a variety of answers possible - the boards are replete with people posting ways to clean and combat rust. I like Jonnin's answer. I use 0000 steel wool in combination with a rust cleaner / preventitive like Eezox. I hardly rub the metal with the steel wool.

If you search the forum for "bluing" you'll also get some informed replies. If you expand your search on bluing to all the Gunboards forums you're set for reading material for the rest of the day. If it were my gun I'd have a dedicated shooter and not bother with re-bluing but if it's a favorite of yours ... you'll decide.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Try 0000 steel wool and Hoppes #9. It is what I use on my Sig P6 as the finish on the slide is almost all gone from years of German police holster wear.

Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
48,802 Posts
first throw the holster away.... its got rust embedded in the fibers and will recontaminate over over....

don't steel wool as of yet.....
first take the gun apart soak it for a few days in kersoine...
letting the liquid seep deep down into the rust...
rub gently the rusted area
with 0000 steel wool...".lightly" at first breaking the crust off....
adding liquid to the steel wool over and over...as you rub the rust awaw
some take it down to the bright white metal...???
but i have found thats over kill unless your your reblueing.....

three or four days in the liquid..taking it down to the brown color usually stops the rust...

them coat with anti rust oils<>< dk

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Cape Cod cloth is a great very light abrasive polish, I use it when msking knive for final polish, works great for your purpose also. Then wax it with a good paste wax.

You could also use a very light automotive rubbing compound.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same here. #0000 but I use synthetic wool. I wouldn't use a rust remover just yet. I would use WD40 with the #0000 to clean that off and see what is underneath. Then you can use the over the counter gun blue, which has rust remover. It isn't exactly a rust remover. It just changes the chemical composition of the rust to something else that isn't corrosive. After you get through cleaning up you can join the rest of us and keep it clean. All our Maks have character because of wear and tear. Now yours does too. :)

As you can see by others there are many methods to choose from. And +1 on trashing the holster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys... I just knew when I came home from work I would have all the info I needed to deal with this.... I plan on working with it this weekend and cleaning all my guns... I think my A/C was leaking in the floor of my car and may have gotten the bag/holster wet.. I will toss it for sure...any sources out there for nice leather holster that would work with this .380?

Once again Thanks..Ill keep ya posted....

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,280 Posts
One trick not already mentioned is to remove the top layer of rust scale with a piece of sharp brass. It will not remove the blue finish. It will leave streaks of brass rubbed on, but the finer steel wool will easily remove that. Good luck, ABTOMAT

·
Silver Bullet member
48,802 Posts
an old penny.....after the K soaking!...just forgotten to say it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sell it to me!!!!! You dont need the headache of messing with all that....lol
Lol...to late... :) I broke it down and soaked it for a few days then cleaned it up today...

it looks much better.. I will continue to work with it and keep it oiled and dry...thanks guys for the info....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts