Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to the reloading world so I have a few question I'd like answered. I have a Dillon RL550B press. I have yet to use it as I have been taking time to buy all the needed gear. I plan on reloading 300 Win Mag. The rifle is a bolt action rifle, not semi-auto. I need advice on what dies to get.

What I need advice on is what type sizing die to get? Full length or neck sizing?

Also what type of crimp would be recommended? Roll or taper?

Most rifle die sets I have seen have just two dies. I have seen some that have three dies. Any advantage to having the three die set over the two die set?

Most brands seem to be pretty good but is there any that seem to be better than others? I am leaning toward Redding. Opinions??

This rifle is one of those fancy heavy barreled sniper rifles so I want to go with dies that will reload the most accurate round. Well any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Redding sells a deluxe three die set. It has full length sizer, neck sizer, and seater die. I have some of the deluxe die sets and cheaper in the long run to pay the $ in the beginning to get both sizers rather than try and get a neck sizer later on. Redding makes very good dies and bullet molds. Have 4 of their bullet molds and would not even think of selling them. I bought the redding deluxe die set for 30-40 krag as rcbs wanted an obscene amount of money for a neck die. So sold the 2 die set and never looked back. Hope this helps. Frank

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have mostly Lee dies, both collet type neck sizing dies and full length resizers. I like them very much. I had one set of RCBS, did not like them so I sold them. I have one set of Redding dies with a full length resizing die which I like very much also.

I just checked the Lee and Redding 3 die deluxe sets at Midway for 300 WIN Mag. The Lee set is $25 cheaper than the Redding set. It is nice to have both the neck sizer and full length sizer on hand...........Mike

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I too have the RL550B press and presently reload about 11 calibers. I full length size all of my brass. Yes, neck sizing will prolong the life of the brass and ultimately you will get more reloads in theory out of each piece of brass. But I am a cheap SOB so the source of most of my reloading brass is what I pick up at my local rifle range. Therefore, full length sizing is really my only option.

I assume you do quite a bit of shooting otherwise you wasted your money by getting a progressive press. Maybe you don't shoot your 300 Win Mag enough though to require a source of brass other than what you originally bought from a commercial manufacturer. In that case, neck sizing is a good way to go especially if you only have one rifle in that caliber. I typically have multiple rifles in each of the calibers that I reload and that too is another reason why I always full length resize.

Every one has their own preference in reloading equipment and peripherals. I have all Dillon and RCBS dies with the exception of a couple of Lee factory crimp dies. I am satisfied with my dies and the ammo that they produce...

·
Silver Bullet member
1,419 Posts
Dies

I have rcbs,lymon redding and lee.By far my favorite is the lee dies.These are not my favorite because of price, but that part is nice.mike

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
I like Lee. Can't compare because I have never had a need to use any other because the Lee dies work for me.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
M240G

I would suggest you do some more reasearch and determine what is right for the type of firearms and chamberings you are loading for. Dont rush out and buy equipment that you wont need.

I strongly recommend RCBS, more expensive but well worth it. Its all I use. If you are loading for a single rifle (not caliber, rifle) I would suggest both a Full length and Neck sizers. The die sets that you see are most likely a Ful or Neck with a bullet seater. I dont crimp for bolt actions and very few semi-autos. Just seat the bullet with the case neck at the proper diameter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts