Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want your input on .44 mag, maybe it's "dirty harry", but I have always wanted a .44 mag pistol, do I need it no! Do I want it yes. I have a .357 mag, .45, .380, .22 & 9mm browning long, so I have more then I can shoot and clean, but my want is becoming my need. What should I get, Brand & model?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Ruger Redhawk, if you at going to shoot the .44 magnum you might as well shoot the beast and be able to shoot the heaviest 44 loads with the least damage to the revolver, and the most comfort to the shooter, accept no substitute. Mine has taken deer, boar and bear for maybe 20 years (don't remember the year but it was the first year of the 5.5 inch barrel Redhawk which it was) with some of the stoutest loads I have cooked up, and still locks up tight as a drum.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
S&W 629 with 8 3/8"barrel is the way to go! I've had mine about 35 years and still love it.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Depends on your hand size. Full load 44 mag is a beast and if you have a small hand the recoil is punishing on the S&W and more so on the Ruger Blackhawk type grips and there's no way to fix it.

The Ruger Redhawk has a grip frame closer to the trigger and with my size hand I have no problems at all with it. My old Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Mag would draw blood despite low loads. A soft rubber Hogue grip didn't work and I could barely reach the trigger with a fingertip, not a prescription for good control.

In any case make sure you can get a good firm grip centered on your palm with your fingertip flat across the trigger, not a stretch and not pushing it at an angle.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Hand size is the determining factor in this discussion not d??k size. Small hands with short fingers don't do well with N frame S&W's. Early Model Blackhawk's in .44Mag fit better but bite more. Super B's bite differently but don't fit as well. Redhawks fit pretty good but still have that "double action hump" to deal with when using full house loads. Ruger Bisley grip frames seem to work out pretty good for for young shooters as well as smaller framed folks. A 4 3/4" cutdown Super Blackhawk works very well in my hands (XL size leather work gloves). It flips and twists but quick second shots are not needed. Personally like all the above types. But all this is assuming the shooter is right handed. My shortened Super Blackhawk wants to jump out of my grip when shooting it with my weak hand and .44Spl loads are called for. S&W N frames work way better for my weak hand shooting along with Bisley styles. And the big heavy RedHawks are, well, big and heavy. Somewhat shorter trigger reach and mass make it more comfortable for target/plinking work. But for open carry, riding around in the pickup, running and gunning in the woods, that short single action Super Blackhawk in a high ride belt rig loaded with 240gr cast semiwadcutters has done it's job and been the go to for decades. Just one old shooter/instructors opinion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was in the same boat as you and couldn't decide between the Ruger Redhawk and the S&W 629 so I just bought the first one I found a good deal on Gunbroker. I picked up a like new 629-8 with a cool eagle and NRA engraved in the side for 550 and I love it. I absolutely have no reason to own this except to make very loud noise and the range. I plan on shooting it a lot! I purchased 500 rounds of ammo, a reloading die, and 500 extra bullets! We can all be dirty harry for a day on the range. The Redhawks seem to be a lot more scarce and that means expensive. I think the cheapest Redhawk I seen go was about 750.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
The Ruger and S&W suggestions are the most practical. A lot depends upon your intended use. Just find the model that fits your hands and budget. I've owned the Ruger Redhawks, Super Redhawks, Blackhawks, and Super Blackhawks in 44 mag. I've also owned the s&W 29, 629, and 69 44 mags. My current favorite is he 69 due to it's easy of carrying in the woods, but again a lot depends on your intended use. Big heavy gun for shooting off sandbags or lighter easy to carry and hold gun for hunting.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
For my needs, hunting, the Super Redhawk works fine but I cannot recommend it to anyone else because I have a fairly large hand but relatively short fingers.
My recommendation instead is always try before buy, something I learned the hard way.
Not sure about today's used handgun situation but the gun store cases used to have a large number of 44 Mags, mostly S&W 29s, that the original buyers just couldn't shoot well.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I absolutely have no reason to own this except to make very loud noise on the range.
If you want attention, get a .45-70 revolver. That is a real noise maker!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bought the Ruger with the Bisley grip as I found I could control it better then the standard grip. The main purpose was for hunting, but I have been questioned at the indoor range as to what I'm shooting when using the handloads. Its definately is a hand cannon.

Howard

·
Registered
10,264 Posts
I have a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk, needs aftermarket grips-Pachmayrs-to shoot comfortably. I have a Virginian Dragoon,replacement parts practically non-existent. Also some of the early ones had oversized throats that gave poor accuracy.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I feel your pain. Being a long time Dirty Harry fan I too want a .44 magnum. I like the Model 29 with a six and a half inch barrel. Every time I see one, I get outbid. They ARE a handful though. Definitely a full sized handgun! They are also expensive, both the gun and the ammo! Two reasons I have put off getting one. I really should just say to heck with it and buy one. I mean, it IS Dirty Harry's weapon of choice! The Ruger Redhawk is also really nice. Well made and fits in the hand nicely, probably half the cost of the Model 29.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.